Common things that are intentionally wrong?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by King Arthur, Mar 22, 2016.

1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Watching the new TV series, Heartbeat. No one screams, "clear!" when they get ready to discharge the defib paddles. Oh for pity's sake. Who are they yelling at, anyone who isn't clear of the patient is right there. You say, "clear," calmly and in a normal voice.

2. Rethagos

Rethagos Member

Bullets and their knockback effect.
    Have you ever had a bullet in your hand? Or seen one? Look at the size of that thing!

(Warning: math, physics, and metric systems)

Let's take for example a 9mm bullet. It weighs around 140 grains (1 grain = 74,8 mg) = 7,45g
    And now imagine a bullet like it flying at velocity around 330m/s and hitting a 70kg target
    Bullet hits the target, imparts a velocity of:
    7,45g (bullet weight) * (345m/s) (bullet speed) /70kg (target weight) = 0,0367 m/s(target velocity)
    that means 3,6 cm per second.

Now, let's take a 12 gauge shotgun shell. It weighs around 5 times as more.
    So we can assume that the velocity imparted to a target is around 18 cm/s

(End of math, etc.)

As we concluded, target barely moves at all, when hit by a bullet.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

Well to be fair if you're just a normal person doing it, I'd imagine most people would shout due to the pressure/intensity of the situation. I've never seen a medical worker shout it, though, if the show is about paramedics or something.

4. GingerCoffee

But the character is not a lay person. She's portraying an experienced cardiac surgeon.

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, that's a good observation. However, the first of these movies came out in the mid 1970s, when artificial intelligence was a twinkle in the eye of tech people, at least as far as moviegoers knew. I think the idea of a robot that couldn't speak but just beeped wasn't all that bizarre back then. And the notion that a robot would be able to speak interactively was still sci-fi.

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Horses whinnying and chortling all the time in movies. It's just not that common, especially whinnying and neighing. :whistle:

jannert likes this.
  7. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Forget the stupid "Clear" ... What about people who wildly jerk after being shocked ... doesn't happen.
    My personnel favorite in those situations is when people come out of a screwed up heat rhythm and act like everything is all better. Something caused that person to drop dead to begin with ... fixing an irregular heart rhythm doesn't cure the original problem!

8. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Women lying on their backs to give birth. It does happen but it's not ideal, recommended, or mandatory.

Simultaneous orgasms happen WAY more in fiction than they do in real life.

I actually dislike the way first-time sex is so often portrayed as painful for the woman and with blood. Plenty of women have lost their hymen before sex, don't bleed, and don't feel pain.

jannert likes this.
  9. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Here's two more medical ones:

-> The IV is supposed to be facing down (as in, the needle is toward your hand), not up (toward your elbow)

-> Taking a syringe full of serum and jamming it directly into the heart is the absolute worst thing you can do to a patient.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. GingerCoffee

They definitely move in a jerk.

While it doesn't happen as often in real life as it does in the movies, it's actually more common than you think.

But you remind me of another issue. EKGs don't go to flat lines for a while, they go to a beat-less static line. And they often call the death with in minutes in movies but in reality, we usually work on someone for quite a while before giving up if they are potentially salvageable.

And you intubate right away in any hospital setting. They keep using the ambu bag with a face mask which would only be done until you could intubate the patient.

jannert likes this.
  11. doggiedude

They may jerk but it's not one of those wild back coming off the bed actions.

And yes .. love the flat line people that come back to life with a shock. They could at least depict V tach or V fib. A defibrillator is for correcting abnormal rhythm.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  12. croak3r

croak3r Member

Some swords had metal scabards and would do that, but it was only in later periods and mostly officer swords i think.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

I'm very glad to hear you don't eat people.

BIGGEST pet peeve is how the media portrays kindergarten teachers. Trust me, kindergarten teachers don't just play with kids all day, and kindergartners do not take naps at school...it's not daycare for heavens sake (I'm looking at you, How I Met Your Mother). So many times the kindergarten teachers are all like "Craft time!" and I'm like, "Where's your literacy block?" :p

Oscar Leigh and jannert like this.
  14. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Well, they'd have a more pure Latin accent, seeing as they spoke that language, but modern Italian is based of it so yes, it'd be very close.

15. Oscar Leigh

Video about that.

16. Oscar Leigh

Well, yeah, but if you're hurt you tend to fall over in pain. Especially if you're, you know, dead.

17. GingerCoffee

We had to take naps when I was in kindergarden. I hated nap time because I never fell asleep.

jannert, KokoN and Oscar Leigh like this.
  18. Jeni

Jeni Member

Here's my two cents.......they do yell clear in a code.....the reason is that there is so much activity and noise going on in most cases that they have to be loud or someone wont hear and they will get shocked. A hospital with a Code Team may or may not yell it for example if there are only five people who respond to a code vs twenty five
    Next jerking when being shocked.....yes it does happen....muscles contract when they are shocked. Ever see someone get tazored? Their back arches and they drop because muscles are contracting, they could twitch too if the tazor were strong enough.
    An IV should be facing towards the heart, so yes towards your elbow.
    I've never heard a horse whinny or chortle.
    First time sex is usually short and sweet but can be painful especially if time wasn't taken to prepare the girl.
    Multiple orgasms. I wish!
    I've known some Kindergarten teachers that were the devil's spawn. My kids did have a naptime/quiet time (I'm sure they never got them to sleep either)

:);)

19. GingerCoffee

Hi Jeni, maybe your experience differs from mine but I worked in the ICU for many years. One important aspect of a code that is not like that on TV is people stay calm. And you don't need to yell, there are only a few people touching the patient at any one time, starting the IV, hooking monitors up, drawing a blood gas, etc, people know when there are paddles on the guy's chest, and pretty much everyone in sight of the patient is going to be aware of the monitor, that's all you are doing at that point.

You need to know your part in the protocol, is bicarb coming next, a blood gas, are the drips getting hooked up, do you do 2 minutes of resuscitation before the next shock... everyone is paying attention to the drill because everyone has a role to play in the procedure.

No one yells, people are not frantic. You take a deep breath and act calmly, if you get too excited you'll be embarrassed. :p

Jeni likes this.
  20. GingerCoffee

TV version of Code Blue :rofl::

Here's what it's really like (it starts about 1:40 in):

Jeni likes this.
  21. Jeni

Jeni Member

I agree ICU is certainly a different experience there are a handful of highly specialized people on the patient. On the floors it is somewhat different especially in the smaller hospitals. I agree it's not a "dramatic" clear but I have heard it pretty loud. Many of the smaller facilities still don't have Code Teams which means that every available person responds, now that's a big group, then you root some out and still have doctor, ambu bag, cpr, paddles, iv/blood/pushes, respiratory, xray, documenting person........I have never been a dedicated ICU nurse but have done my share of time there, it is much more streamline and the rooms are so small certainly any extras are usually around the nurses station. Facilities with dedicated code teams also streamline things usually in those cases only 4 to 5 people run the entire code. Much easier and much quieter. Strange how experiences can differ so!

22. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I remember reading that it was pointed out to Ian Fleming that when people get knocked out, the very first thing most of them do is vomit. In his very next novel, he had Bond flash the hash upon re-awakening.

I have been reconciled that the laws of physics don't apply to characters in action movies. They can get thrown thirty feet into a wall, drop two stories, and jump back into the action. Riiiiiiiight.

Jeni likes this.
  23. Oscar Leigh

Anyone else notice where one character outsmarts another once sometimes they say "oh, it turns out - is smarter." Even though it proves NOTHING. I swear, intelligence is so misunderstood in popular culture.
    BTW this thread describes one of my favorite story aspects. I do stuff where generally I try to be actually realistic with details.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    KokoN likes this.
  24. GingerCoffee

That's funny because that's less accurate and misses the real issue altogether.

Yes, projectile vomiting is a symptom of a head injury, but how many people with head injuries vomit is another matter.

What happens when you've been knocked unconscious for more than a nanosecond is you have a brain injury with bruising and swelling. You wake up groggy for hours, falling asleep and waking up multiple times over the next 24 hours.

jannert, Oscar Leigh and Jeni like this.
  25. doggiedude

How about all the cars that go jumping over things!
    They fly up some sort of incline and come down on all four tires.
    They just love ignoring the big weighty engine in the nose that would drag a car face first downward.
    Go Go General Lee!
    Some of the jumps show a little nose hitting first but even that's with the stunt crew stuffing the trunk with lots of weights.

GingerCoffee and Oscar Leigh like this.