Common things that are intentionally wrong?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by King Arthur, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Just ask a moderator. Minstrel or Wreybies or someone.

2. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

yeah I guess technically it doesn't count towards the point of the thread. although technically wreybies started it! I was just responding to his comment.

3. Oscar Leigh

Yeah, and I'm saying I disagree with you. Put 'em up, sucka'. :twisted:

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

You're rather suggesting that a story should ONLY be told in the language of the country it's set in. So, Joan of Arc in French (but it would have to be mediaeval French, not that nancy stuff you learned at school), Shogun in Japanese, War and Peace in French (but the archaic kind that the Russian court used), and let's not forget Macbeth in the original Klingon...

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. Justin Phillips

I don't know what I was suggesting, it was just a comment that got kind of out of hand

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Justin Phillips

I'm a lover not a fighter. Is that how they do it down under? :twisted: and by the way, yes, I would watch Joan of arc in medieval French, I think that would be one hell of a cool language to get to hear. Ill just read subtitles. Not that they would ever attempt something like that.

Pan's labyrinth is one of my all time favorite movies, and I had to read subtitles the entire time.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The part that bugs me about it is the generic way in which Hollywood makes use of actual Brits and Americans making use of varying degrees of atrocious "British accent"* as a sort of stand-in prop for "Not America" or "Not Present Day". It's just freakin' lazy.

*Please let's not digress into a conversation about the lack of validity to the single term "British Accent" to cover the veritable cornucopia of different regional accents to be found in the U.K. It's why I put the term in quotes. I am well aware of the dynamic. I lived in Bedforshire for several months at RAF Chicksands. I know that the accent we are fed in films is a plumy, smoothed out accent that pretty much no one actually speaks in real life. I know all of this. All of it.

Justin Phillips likes this.
  8. Oscar Leigh

Oh yeah, that movie is great! Such style and design! And don't worry, I'm a pacifist. Although, we have one of the highest binge-drinking rates, at least in the western world, so yeah brawls rates are also high. Not that high though. And some of it translates into hubbies beating their wives, also higher rate than America or England, which is of course much better. ;);)

Justin Phillips likes this.
  9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I wouldn't believe everything you read/hear.

This is true however:

10. Oscar Leigh

Why is the sex workers having intact hymens in with the pain thing? Do you disagree with that? Because you're agreeing with the not necessarily breaking the first time thing, so it would seem to fit fine.

11. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's physically impossible to control. There is no muscle involved in the hymen, it's just a membrane. How are you suggesting they accomplish this?

And how did they accomplish the feat before they had the experience?