company motto

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by ohmyrichard, Feb 4, 2009.

1. ohmyrichard

ohmyrichard Active Member

Hi,Cogito. To my knowledge, it is improper to use "virtue" of a company in Chinese but I'm not so sure whether it is allowed in English. Here I would invite you to compare the translation of the motto by Sorites, "You can count on us." with "Our word is our bond, and your respect our constant goal" which is offered by someone else and is slightly different from yours. Please tell me which one of the two you like better.
    Thanks for your patience.
    Richard

2. ohmyrichard

Many thanks. Perhaps my last question about it, Woud it read better if we added "always" after "You can" and had "You can always count on us."?
    Thanks.
    Richard

3. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Adding "always" is redundant. The expression "You can count on us." that means that there will be no exceptions. The job WILL get done. Consequently, "always" is not necessary.

4. ohmyrichard

Many thanks. Although we are discussing something another member of the forum came up with, you explain everything related so patiently. Thanks again for your generosity and great help.
    Richard

5. sorites

sorites New Member

Yep, I was going to reply, but NaCl basically said what I was going to say. As he said, adding "always" is redundant.

6. ohmyrichard

Thanks. Today I read the homepage of Julian A. McDermott,which has been a leading manufacturer of warning lights since World War II. It has a motto which read, "You can count on us to light the way to safety." I appreciate the wisdom reflected in this motto. As the Chinese company concerned in our discussion is a manufacturer of building materials for infrastructure projects, irrigation projects, ventilation projects, etc., can we have the motto as "You can count on us to give you every satisfaction" or "You can count on us to lead you to satisfaction" by imitation of "You can count us to light the way to safety"? Do you think this expanded version is weaker or stronger in force? And if I stick to "You can count on us", can I conclude it with an exclamtion mark and have "You can count on us!"?
    Thanks for your patience and great help. I assure you that this is my last question concerning this motto.
    Richard

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Exclamation marks are overused, and are increasingly associated with te sleazier side of business - used car dealerships, mattress wholesale outlets, furniture discount houses, and the like.

Just as a soft, firm voice often overpowers screaming arguments, a simple period often carries more punch than an exclamation mark. It says, "We are confident and determined. We don't need to shout in order to be heard."

8. ohmyrichard

Thanks for your excellent instructions.
    Then how do you find the extended version of "You can count on us to give you every satisfaction."? Is it weaker or stronger in force than "You can count on us."? And can we say "You can count on to lead you to satisfaction." in English?
    Thanks.
    Richard