1. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

[COMPLETED] A.M.P.'s Xchyler Progress

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by A.M.P., Jun 12, 2014.

Xchyler's Winter Anthology
    Link to Xchyler

Genre: Fantasy
    ......................... Theme: Out of this World... True Story
    .......Date: August 31 2014

Progress
    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

Creating Project Journal Story Building WritingEditingBeta ReadingSubmitted

SUBMITTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE NIGHT, THE CARNIVAL

Blurb

"A parent's schizophrenia is hard to understand, even more so when you're a young boy oblivious to the meaning of the word. Mika always loved his father, loved him even more when all he had left were memories of him. When his father appears at his windowsill one night and wants to take him away on an adventure, Mika takes his hand without a second thought."

!News Feed!

[August 26]

One last round of edits.
    Check.
    Recheck synopsis.doc.
    Check.
    Reread Query Letter.
    Check.
    Go Over Submission Guidelines again.
    Check.
    Create E-mail.
    Check.
    Hit Send....
    Hit Send...
    HIT SEND!!!!!
    Check.

[August 22]
    I know there hasn't been many updates toward the end. It was mostly edits coupled with massive amounts of thinking and deciding.

This editing and beta reading process has been very informative and found the help invaluable thanks to my EPIC beta reader.

Now, the query letter is done, the synopsis, and the manuscript...Wow... It's time to submit before the deadline.. Maybe I'll hold off and look at it over and over...

I am not stressed. I feel like I got this in the bag. Maybe I'm cocky, maybe my hard work really shows through, and I just don't have a clue. I wonder how well I'll take the rejection if it comes. I think rather well. Maybe I'm just optimistic.
    [August 3]
    My Beta readers are the best :3
    I've gotten good feedback that really made me think about my characters and what I was telling through the story.
    Some remarks I agree with and use, some I disregard but that's the thing about creating your story. Gotta learn what needs changing for the better and what feels right to yourself.

Sending out a new beta soon. Hopefully it's better.

[July 24]
    It has been a while since I updated but I've been hard at work on the project and my day job. Things occured and it slowed my writing down a good deal but I managed to crank out a few revisions over the last dozen days and I am rather happy with the result.

From here on out, I am handing it over to my beta readers and hope that my dreams of being a writer are not dashed forever by their harsh criticism and the general suck of my skill.

[July 12]
    I did it! First round of edits completed!
    There's two-three parts I need to retouch to tie it all together a bit better but besides that I am very pleased.

Also, I suck at writing endings... how do I ever decide what words will end things in a satisfactory manner.... "And so, he lived happily ever after." Genius!
    [July 12]

Have been getting lots of editing done. I am very happy with all my cleaning up. About 5 pages left (I ended up adding a few scenes) and the first major round of editing is done! Time to start considering beta readers.

After, just reread on my computer with my trusted spellchecker and I should start firing it away for peeps to read. Maybe this weekend.

[July 6]
    Not much to report, editing going splendidly. An early beta reader praised my characters and story but mentioned a few seemingly forced dialogues from my humorous antagonist. I'll try to see what I can do to smooth it out though I'm having trouble seeing WHY it feels forced.

I lost like 2 hours worth of edits... no idea how. Upset me dearly but it was simple enough to go over it all again and redo what I already knew I wanted there.

[July 2]

Update take 2... accidently hit the back button and lost it all >.>

Work has been stressing and lots of new responsibilities, that's why the lack of editing going on and updating the journal. Or just my general mild absense from WF. It's all back to normal-ish and I should be able to go full steam ahead.

TWEervin2 post about getting published again really inspired me to keep making headway. Thank you for the boost!

Editing is going well. Slow but steady; every phrase and paragraph is getting a facelift which is a bother to do (As in time consuming) but it's so rewarding to see a much better narrative. Hopefully my beta readers will see it as I do. It's like a total rewrite but with the blueprint there to be tweaked and perfected as I no longer need to just get the story down and everything I need.

Also, I feel emo.. Why is my progress journal the only one without a kind reply to encourage me? lol, I don't mind but I find it odd :S
    [June 27]
    I have been stuck interviewing all week and that means early mornings, some stress, and lots of changes in my position and status at work. It keeps me busy during and then can't shake it off after, leaving me little chance to write properly.

Managed to hammer a few paragraphs tonight. Hopefully, things will return to a more steady manner soon as I do want to finish this project though now I am just too hopped on coffee, tired, stressed, and overworked to do anything but eat, sleep, and work.

[June 23]

As always, took a good old fashion break from writing on the weekend as always, though I would've had very little time either way this time.

Friday, I just wasn't feeling it. I think I was too tired/hyper for my own good...

Editing is going well, only a few pages in on the first revision but the text is improving a lot rudimentally. The next phase of editing will be making sure narration is strong and top-notch as I belive that to be a weak point in my repertoire though it has majorly improved over the last two years. Hopefully, my betas can help with that.

The story went pretty much exactly like I planned it, I had to improvise a tad at the end and a scene I kind of wanted was removed all together as not all good things come in threes.

I'm very happy to be at the editing phase, it feels good to have something tangible to work with rather than a blank page and knowing it'll all to be cleaned up later on.
    [June 19]

I just could not get in the groove yesterday, Wrote like a page and barely managed that.

Today, it went much better, the final paragraphs are being hashed out and the editing begins! I'm very excited for a few changes and I'm gonna put my best foot forward to make the story really come to life thanks to all my knowledge and all the new things I learned from the WF community.

I believe I have one or two people who expressed their interestin beta reading my work once I hit that stage which I grealy appreciate. Honest feedback is the only way I'll ever improve despite the hurt feelings :p
    [June 17]

I managed to get through a few pages today. Barely made it, wasn't feeling it at all... maybe it was the sugar or caffeine, I dunno.

Currently, the protagonist is struggling with his own doubts and those planted by the two antagonists as they vie for him to choose between them. It's going smashingly well, I think.

Here's hoping that tomorrow I'll work more on it much more than I did today. About 6000 words in, 9000 left as wiggle room.

[June 16]
    I believe I had some inspiration over the weekend over some of my antagonists but can't really remember what it was.... I'm sure it'll come back to me but for now I am stumped. It feels good to get back to writing on this brand new week, I am very glad I have a chance to work on this project.

[June 13]
    I CAN'T FIND MY DOCUMENT! i LOST ALL MY WORK! RAGE!!!! *FLIPS TABLE* Found it, it was hiding deep in my system files where it had no business in hiding... I'm just glad all my work wasn't lost.

Hashing out more pages today. Story is going very strong and I am very excited to have the opportunity to write this story. I always wanted to but never had a reason to start it.

I am thoroughly enjoying the back and forth between the antagonist and the "good" antagonist. I hope the comedy will be apparent enough to break a smile or two.

Protagonist acquired his first key item on his epic journey of self-discovery: Tomme the Lion. A fuzzy yellow stuffed animal ready to defend him against the horrors that await him.

[June 12]
    I believe I found an idea that fits with well with my own writing and have detailed out point A to point Z. All that's left to do is start writing to the best of my ability.
    I'll be drawing heavy inspiration from Nightwish and Poets of the Fall for this as they have a few works that mesh well together for the imagery and plot that I've designed.

Also, I noticed I forgot to count the month of August into my countdown... so let's add 30 days, shall we?

[June 11]
    Spent an hour making this journal to support Daniel's new subforum... Procrastination ajt it's finest.
    No working title yet, I'm guessing this is meant to be a theme aimed at stories such as Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, or Pan's Labyrinth.
    What's the common factor? Crazy children.
    Yes, there may be some visual oddness on certain monitors. For best viewing, 1920x1080 is best resolution. I can only do so much with BBcode >.>

Story Building is the second step in this journal (Woo! One down!) which includes setting, environment, characters, plot, twists, morals, and just about everything else. A limit of 15,000 words gives me a good idea of how much is needed to build but right now I just need a plot, interest, intrigue.

I wish this wasn't for a contest or I'd post snippets and maybe even start writing it on Google Docs. so people can read as I write, comment, or read it later.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Dude, this is real stuff, not like all the bull shit most people talk about writing.

I'm very impressed.

3. A.M.P.

@123456789
    Thank you but I'm sure others are putting just as much, if not more, work in their projects.
    I just happen to like doing forum style things since my RPing days on Gaia.

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

No, I mean, your plot, not the journal.

5. A.M.P.

Oh dang, and here I thought was journal was the top shizzle since sliced pizza :(

But I think the little blurb makes it seem better than it is.
    I do hope it does ring true with what I managed to produce.
    Thank you for the compliment though, I need all the positive feedback I can get as this is slowly getting very real.

6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributing Member Contributor

Have you seen the amine flick Spirited Away? Your premise reminds me somewhat of that-- which is not to say that it's not a theme that can bear a number of treatments.

7. A.M.P.

Yes, I saw quite a few of Miyazaki's films.
    Didn't even think of the similarity until now.

8. A.M.P.

After this, I will surely create a thread about dealing with rejection!
    Please, wish me good luck!
    I could use it even though I worked hard :p

9. A.M.P.

It's Done.
    I did it.

The worst part is not getting rejected if I do.
    It's wondering whether it's because I can't do it or simply because it wasn't my turn to succeed and having no way to tell.

I feel like the stress is gonna... *hurls* :dead:

ToDandy likes this.