1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Bibisco writing software (free)

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Steerpike, Apr 16, 2016.

Steerpike submitted a new resource:

Bibisco writing software (free) - Free, open-source writing software with some interesting analytics features

Read more about this resource...

2. Michael Pless

Michael Pless Senior Member

I took a quick look at this. It has some nice features - not the least are the prompts regarding character, location, etc - which ought to help newer writers with structuring their novels and creating better characters. Locations are a bit rigid, demanding to know country, State, and city prior to proceeding.

It does seem to be very novel-oriented, which is okay if that's what you're writing, but I suggest it can be used for shorter works.

In Windows, there is no installation, just download the (159MB!) zip file, extract it (to 320+MB!) and then run bibisco.exe so it will be easily portable. One thing, I can't seem to find the story file that the application creates, but I'm sure it's somewhere around. The analytics seem useful, and so too the scene tags although the time scale seems to demand Gregorian dates, which butts heads with a sci-fi setting on another planet with a different calendar.

Dearest Mothership likes this.