1. LordWotsit

LordWotsit New Member

Computer Vs Paper....

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by LordWotsit, Jul 9, 2014.

How many write straight on a computer and how many start with a piece of paper. I like to start the initial process - story idea, characters, main points of the story right through to the end on paper before switching to a computer to begin the actual writing.

Saying this I do sometimes jump straight to a computer if working on a short piece.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I type everything. It's more convenient, and my handwriting sucks.

Mike Kobernus, jazzabel and Renee J like this.
  3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I can barely read my own handwriting at times, typing is faster and much, much more easier for me. With writing, I have to slow myself down to a ridiculous amount in order for my lettering to be read, otherwise it looks like a chipmunk wrote it after drinking coffee.

jazzabel likes this.
  4. LordWotsit

LordWotsit New Member

Heheh my writings not much better. That's why I restrict the paper part to the planning stage. I just find having a pen and paper while jotting down ideas seems to help the ideas flow and develop better.

5. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Paper for research/plans/maps/plots. I have a journal with lots of tabs so that I can jump to the bits I need rather than thumbing through each page.
    Computer for all writing unless I am out and about in which case I email myself anything I come up with :oops:

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I used to like writing by hand a lot. I still do sometimes - there are times when I can't seem to get going on the computer, but writing by hand breaks the ice, so to speak. It helps me find the voice I'm looking for.

Since I got Scrivener, I'm much more likely to write directly on the laptop. Scrivener makes it easy to set my whole project up and organize, and almost everything I can do by hand I can now do with Scrivener. And, like everyone else, I can type a lot faster (and more comfortably) than I can scrawl.

7. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

The only time i use paper is to brainstorm and I mostly just doodle or write odd words or names. It keeps me focused on what I'm building. Any actual writing is always on the computer as it saves me the trouble of rewriting and it's so much easier to edit.

8. Annalise_Azevedo

Annalise_Azevedo Member

Back at school, if I wasn't on a laptop or computer, I would work on paper. I would write pages, then I would put it back on the computer and fix up the small things I changed my mind about.

9. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I mostly start with paper. That way you can't lose those ideas to viruses.

10. Nothingness

Nothingness Active Member

Whatever's at hand. Words are words.

Well 'Words' is just one word...

Foxe and Fullmetal Xeno like this.
  11. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

I only really use paper if I have nothing else at my disposal. If I'm jotting notes I'll often use the Notes app on my phone, but I do have a small notebook I carry with me just in case. For actual writing, I stick to my laptop.

12. allonsybadwolf

allonsybadwolf Member

I always start with paper, when the idea sparks I just scribble furiously everything that I can think of. There's no structure, and the page is just a mess of unfinished paragraphs, and arrows, and doodles, and lists. I find I can't get the idea out on the computer because I feel so pressured to be structured and neat.

But as soon as I get that out of the way, I do all the meat of the writing on a computer. Writing by hand just can't keep up with the speed that my brain wants to write. Hmm, now I'm sort of curious about how many words per minute I average by hand...

13. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

I would prefer paper if I didn't get an incredibly irritated wrist when writing by hand. My writing just turns into scribbles anyway. I'm a typer. I also prefer typing because I edit a lot as I go, and my first thought is often changed very quickly. This was a constant problem in exams, as I would be revising my essay or answer with scribblings and strikethroughs and new bits above, below and in the column.

14. aikoaiko

aikoaiko Contributing Member

I still like paper when just starting something. Then I switch to computer when it gets serious and I need to edit. The computer is easier for sure, but for some reason I can just 'feel' a story better on paper.

15. fivetoesten

fivetoesten Member

What is this "paper" you speak of?

Artist369 likes this.
  16. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I do my writing on paper then I do the editing working on a computer, yes it takes longer but for me its the best writing method for me.

17. Leyanight

Leyanight New Member

I use the computer to do the actual writing but I keep a little notebook and pen with me at all times to jot down notes or work on outlines. Then I have to print out whatever I'm working on to edit it. For some reason I just don't see the errors on a computer screen like I do on paper.

18. FallenShandeh

FallenShandeh Member

I can't read my own handwriting lol so I rarely do anything in an actual notebook. That's what my smartphone and computer are for.

19. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

I use the computer and sometimes a google doc app on my phone. I only use paper if that's the only thing available.

20. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

I also email myself ideas I think of while I'm supposed to be working. Shhh.

21. Chad Lutzke

Chad Lutzke Member

Seeing how I type 90+ wpm, I type everything rather than write it down (unless there is no keyboard around).

~Chad Lutzke
    Pre-Author, Post-Boredom - The Literary Unfoldings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer

22. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributing Member Contributor

My own fantasy world, living the good life
    I have a little notebook for scribbling notes down in class when I have an idea (notes for writing, not learning) and doodling scenes, but I type everything when I get home.

23. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Research notes and planning are done on paper, actual writing on computer. If an idea occurs to me when I am not home and don't have my laptop handy, I will sometimes write some passages on a notepad. This has saved my sanity during many a boring presentation. :whistle:

24. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I used to write/print out my stories on paper - you can see the result of my first book on my blog ( on here ) if you like. I do love the feel of pen and paper and being able to handle and spread out the pages of the final work. But writing on paper was hard. I'd run the ink dry in a pen, the draft could get messy with cross outs or flubs but the worse was I wrote so long I'd develop a noticeable dent in my finger.

Now, I write on my computer but I still do some strategizing on paper. And I also carry a notepad with me everywhere so when conversations, scenes or a tidbit of an idea comes to me I jot it down so I don't forget it.

25. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

Paper during the very preliminary mind mapping stage of circles, lines and scattered words. After that it's all on my PC.