1. lucyvp

lucyvp New Member

Concentration

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lucyvp, Apr 7, 2009.

I suffer from ADD, and unless I'm absolutely into something, I will 'switch off' completely if something loses my interest. I had a heck of a time finishing my uni essays when the subject wasn't really interesting me. It really is as though a switch is flicked and try as I might I can not concentrate and take in whatever I'm supposed to be doing.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any tips for being more in control of this 'switch'? I'm sure I could get heaps more done if I could only learn how to concentrate.

2. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

I don't have ADD, but I do have trouble focusing on things that don't interest me. I just push my way through it and hope I did good.

3. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I have it worse-I lose concentration on stuff even if it interests me.

The one thing I do for this is divide the assignment into parts and steps. This helps me because I take each new step as a new project so it prevents me from divertions.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

On account of my Bipolor disorder I sometimes have major problems with both concentration and motivation.
    When I get depressed I don't want to do anything, regardless of how much I love it, and it is a real struggle getting things done in a state like that.

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

With my students, the key was not to push them. It was to see how long they could concentrate, then to find ways to increase it slowly, and motivate them by relating the task to something that did interest them, or with rewards. If you try to just switch this part of your brain on and off, it can cause more stress than is necessary, and tire you out a lot faster.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Also, to steal an idea from the guitarist Eric Johnson and complement what Rei already stated, you should try and learn to love the process. If you force yourself to do it it will always seem a chore, but if you can learn to make the act of writing interesting and fun then it will (though it will still be work) it will seem much more natural and easier.

7. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

yup i'm in agreement with Rei and Lemex, if you push then it becomes something of a chore and takes the fun out of it.

you could try doing some flash stories, short and intense, but keep them in the same topic or story line, join them up in the end. written over a period of time keeping the concentration centered but for less of a period

8. Moira

Moira New Member

I have ADHD. GuH! It stinks sometimes. What I have to do is turn on light background music. I feel that my brain has two parts, one that focuses on what I'm doing, the other part's out scanning for something more fun-something distracting. So what I do is occupy that second half of my brain with the music so that it doesn't look for something else to turn my attention away from my project. HoPe ThAt HeLpS!

9. thegearheart

thegearheart New Member

I'm with Moira. If it weren't for Miles Davis and Iron & Wine, I never would have finished my books.

10. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Poor taste joke:
    Q: "How many writers with ADD does it take to change a lightbulb?"

A:"Hey! wanna go ride bikes?"

11. thegearheart

thegearheart New Member

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*Tells joke to everyone he knows*

12. themotions

themotions New Member

OMG that quote by lordkyle is absolutely hilarious...I always enjoy finding a way to make light of the fact that I am SUCH a space cadet, :D

As far as things that help me
    1. check lists check lists check lists, writing things down gets them out of my head and seem a lot less daunting, and I love that feeling when you can cross something off.

2. After every accomplishment reward yourself, something to look forward to. Even if it's something like not allowing yourself to look at this website until you've done a half an hour of work.

3. Make a cozy spot with no technology in it..even if it's the size of a closet, make it your designated space to focus on one thing. Bring ONE THING into that space at a time. You may find yourself drifting off in thoughts but condition yourself to learn that THAT spot is for work and work only and when you leave that spot don't think about your work.

3. On rare occasions I find something that I can spend HOURS doing...when you find this thing, work with it. Of course youre going to have to do things that don't interest you, but as someone with no attention span, ive realized that I probably will never be successful with things that don't interest me. Change plans and maybe even your career, until you find something that works..

13. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I was going to read your entire post, but I got distracted.

14. themotions

themotions New Member

hahaha, very witty

15. jules5987

jules5987 New Member

I suffer from clinical depression and mild ADD. The combination amounts to lack of motivating engergy and an incessant need to do something other than be depressed. I'm still trying to figure out how that works and what will actually work to fix it. I've got a long way to go. But I will admit, the whole exercise thing works, even for concentration. You might also want to look into herbal supplemants. Omega-3 fish oil is especially known to boost brain function and focus.

16. lucyvp

lucyvp New Member

I have such bad ADD that I forgot I started this thread lol.

I am going to try out some of those suggestions. I'm not sure about the listening to music... I find that if there's something there other than what I'm trying to stick at I will be lured away - and having music playing makes me want to just sit there, enjoy the music and relax. My husband writes while he listens to music though.

I do find though that if I find a particular place I can go to to associate with work then I am more likely to keep at it. I find that the internet distracts me and keeps me from working, and yet I can't do without it for research etc. I guess I have to learn more self control. There are some things that I can stick at for hours, very easily. I just wish writing was one of them. I am hoping that when I have a well developed story that is going along so well that it 'almost writes itself' that writing will be one of the things I can stick at without it feeling like a chore.

17. amateurwriter

amateurwriter New Member

Have discipline and set punishments and rewards for yourself. Also, what about ritalin?

18. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Ritalin is little more than a mild form a speed, and it's meant for children, anyway. Adults shouldn't take it. You're better off with caffeine if a stimulant might help.