1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Concepts/ Ideas?!!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Cacian, Dec 25, 2011.

I have this story line of three guys from three different eras.

I thought I could introduce a Mr Traditional Guy/A Mr Classic Guy and a Mr Modern Guy.
    I am looking for words/adjectives to go with each or some kind of a story/concept to go with each to highlight what they are

I have been researching names for example

Mr Harold/Arthure could traditional
    Mr Beauvart could the classic
    Mr Solovan/Marvel is maybe the modern.

Which CONCEPTS/FACTS/IDEAS would you link with each?

For example would you flying/travelling in a balloon would go better with Mr Traditional?

Thank you!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see those adjectives as representing 'eras'... so what do you mean?... are they from different ages/centuries and yet all appearing at the same time in a story by some magical or supernatural means?

fyi, 'eras' would be things like: prehistoric; ancient greek; roman; medieval; renaissance; edwardian; victorian; and so on...

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I meant by era a period of time.
    The story is going to be crossing these poeple in and out of situations.
    Instead of saying Mr Modern/Mr Classic or Mr Tradionalist I want them to the readers with specifc words/notions to their time without having to be too obvious.
    For example if I call Mr Traditionalis as Mr Arthur and brought out a knowlegde he liked to travel in balloons and wear a hat and carry an umbrella would that project the idea that he is a tradionalist?
    I am looking for notions and ideas to attach to these characters in order to emphasive their personalities as stated above.

4. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

It sounds a lot like you're trying to stereotype your characters. And characters which are stereotypes are never believeable. Put yourself in their place. With their knowledge and experience, think how they'd react to a situation?

That's the way to go about it, not coming up with a generic list of attributes and shoe-horning them into the story wherever possible.

5. iabanon

iabanon New Member

I don't understand what traditional and classic are representing. those words don't describe a period. you'd be looking at victorian, edwardian, twentieth century decades (40's, 50's 60's etc) world wars etc. you'd have to be more specific.

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

'qui se sent morveux se mouche' do you know it?
    I am trying to establish a way of differentiating between a Modern thinker /a Classic thinker and a traditionalist one.
    The only way I can think of is either show it that in their way of seeing thinking as well as their hobbies and habits.
    for example a Modern thinker would care less about weddings/marriage a Classic person would go both ways and the traditionalist would insist on a marriage.
    I am looking for these kinds of ideas.

Modern person lives in the now, a classic would swing between past and futur and a traditionalist lives with the past.

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

But a person who _lives in the present_ and rides in a balloon, is not a traditionalist. He's a person who happens to have a particular fairly high-risk hobby. And for that matter, a person who rode in a balloon in the past is also not a traditionalist. Balloon riding was never a normal method of travel; it would have always been a rather exotic, daredevil thing to do.

Similarly, a man who wears an old-fashioned man's hat in many cities today is unlikely to be a traditionalist; hats are so very seldom worn that they're a somewhat daring fashion choice. On the other hand, a man who wore such a hat in the past when that had was customary dress is not a man who's especially traditional - he' s just wearing the clothes of a normal man of his day.

Similarly, there are a lot of women who like to wear vintage clothes - Chanel suits, 1940's style makeup, thirties-style print dresses. Those women rarely have old-fashioned conservative ideas. On the other hand, a woman actually living in the thirties who wore a thirties-style print dress... was dressing normally.

Veering away from the original question, I think that it is interesting how often people assume that what we currently define as conservative beliefs grow stronger and stronger the further we go into the past, when that really isn't true.

For example, movies before 1934 tended to be a great deal less "conservative" - in the sense that they had a good deal of sex, violence, and what we currently see as radical attitudes - than the movies of the 1950s, and quite possibly even compared to movies of today. That's just one tiny example. So which "the past" does the traditionalist approve of? The forties, when movies were highly regulated? The twenties, when they were not? Does he disapprove of movies altogether, because they're not old enough?

I don't think that the "traditionalist" as defined in the original question really exists - I've never, ever heard anyone say, "I want everything to be _just like_ the past!" Nor have I ever heard anyone declare themselves to be a modernist, saying that everything in this decade is better than everything was in the last decade. People don't align themselves blindly with the past or the future; it doesn't work that way.

8. mammamaia

leaf mold and fiddle finger [apt names, btw!]...
    you have both just been reported for inappropriate behavior...

i've had it with bullying cretins like you who get off on debasing cacian... sure, it's easy to see from what she writes/posts that she has obvious language issues and perhaps others as well, but she's still a fellow member who is always polite and never even retaliates, so imo should be treated respectfully and not have to endure this kind of humiliation...

i have asked the admin to squash any such bugs who seem to think they're superior, when in fact they are amply demonstrating that they are not!

i will continue to report all who don't hew to the standards of courtesy that this site has always upheld since its inception, so my advice to you and any others who get their jollies this way is to cease and desist immediately and behave the way i hope your mothers taught you to... if you didn't have the benefit of childhood training in being 'nice' then go do your bullying elsewhere... bullies are not wanted here!

no love or hugs, maia

ps: the last one i reported for this kind of behavior [prophet snake] was banned for 3 months and if he dares to come back and does it again, he'll be banned for life... care to share his fate?... or would you rather do the right thing and apologize to your victim and start behaving like decent folks?

9. mammamaia

are you getting these definitions from somewhere, or did you make them up yourself, cacian?

they don't make sense to me... here are accepted definitions:

...you'll notice there is no connection with any particular time period...

...again, not fitting how you're using the term...

10. Protar

Protar Active Member

I'm somewhat confused. Are these people actually from different time periods or are their ideals from different time periods? In any case you shouldn't be stereotyping your characters so much. So far as I know there is no correlation between conservative marriage views and the enjoyment of hot air balloon rides. Instead, perhaps this person's views are traditional because of a strong religious upbringing or maybe they've had bad experiences that make them take a more cautious stance on life. Also your characters should be defined by more than traditional/modern etc. You and I are both living in the modern age but we're both incredibly different people, just as two people living in 1930 would be completely different to one another. Are these people quick to anger, are they gloomy, are they melodramatic? All this will, in the long run probably be more important than their views on marriage or movie violence, unless your work is specifically about such things.

11. Yvaine

Yvaine New Member

I could be wrong but it sounds like you are looking for something to associate with each character so you don't have to keep introducing them. It might be easier to flesh out your characters first and let the characteristics follow. This concept reminds me of Sleeping with the Enemy when the towels are straightened up in the bathroom and the tins in the cupboard are neat and orderly. You don't have to say he is there, the actions do it for you.

For me, a bowler hat and travelling by balloon suggests eccentric more than traditional or classic.

12. story_teller

story_teller New Member

what about a generational link between the three men, plus a family business, like media, farming, a restaurant, where you can tie in the social, economical and political influences, plus the personal links and influences involved in the family matters?..... This way the theme stays the same the the language use, environment and characters will continuously and if wanted quite dramatically develop and change.
    The choice is open to anything really but this way you can easily and effectively achieve your goal. You don't have to make things extra hard to make them well!

Good Luck!:)

13. Cacian

Cacian Banned

these characters are from the same time period but with different personalities and view on life.
    One is a traditionalits who is a firm believers in traditions moeurs and what it entails.
    One is modern thinker who lives in the present with all its changes and futuristic ideas
    and the third one is a classic thinker, meaning that combines both past and present and also looks into the future. Classic as we know means somethign that is never dated or out of fashion.
    I am looking for ideas or concepts to attach to them to highlight that they are what they are.
    How to do it is complex.
    Do I use clothing or hobbies and they way the think to give their personas away?
    For example PUNK era is now a gone era but some people will still dress up and wear the hair style and clothing typical of punk to project their love of that era.

14. Cacian

Cacian Banned

what does flesh out mean?
    yes something like that..
    Exactly that..

15. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

One thing is that we're assuming that you're writing a relatively realistic story. if you're talking about something _extremely_ surreal, perhaps something that isn't fixed in any time period, your ideas could work. But it would have to be extremely surreal, to have a traveller-by-balloon and, I dunno, maybe a traveller-by-electric-car (modern), and a traveller-by-transporter (futuristic) in the same story.

Though even in that case, I think that a traveller by balloon would be an adventurer, not a traditionalist. Balloons were never a normal, everyday mode of travel. You'd do better to have the traditionalist travel by horse and wagon.

16. mammamaia

good point, cf!