1. grimmwriter

grimmwriter Member

Concerning Pseudonyms

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by grimmwriter, Apr 22, 2010.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. Now I'm not considering writing under a completely assumed name as I think it is a ridiculous pain to do so. But my first and last names together seem like lengthy mouthful.

I was curious about the legality of using my middle name and last name only, without using my first initial. Would this still be like writing under a pseudonym? Can I submit my work under my shorter name and omit my first name (aside from the times where they would need my full name)? Or should I treat it like a pseudonym and submit under my full name, and publish under my shorter name?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Treat it like a pseudonym, because that's what it is. Regardless of where you came to it from.

Put the name you want it to be published under as the by-line, and everything else as your legal name (correspondence, ect).

3. grimmwriter

grimmwriter Member

Thanks so much Banzai! I kinda figured I should, but was hoping I could get away with it. Just because it would be easier. Truly appreciate your input!

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

No worries :)

It's really not any more difficult. If you're uncertain once you reach the negotiating with a publisher phase, then you can just tell them "I'd like it published under this name..." Psuedonyms are very common practice.

5. grimmwriter

grimmwriter Member

I guess it is with all the J.K. Rowlings and such. BTW, I love your avatar! I happen to be a scrubs addict myself.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i agree with banz... he's right on all points...