1. SWriter

SWriter New Member

Competition bad form.

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by SWriter, Jul 15, 2011.

Ok so lets pretend there is a writing magazine that runs a competition once a month. you can submit any story of any genre etc.

Lets also pretend that I got first prize this month.

Would it be bad form for me to send in a new story the next month (again pretending its 1st prize material).

Would I be viewed as a greedy git or a new tallent that just keeps on wowing the judges!

2. Holden

Holden New Member

If there is no rule prohibiting you from doing so, by all means send your material in. No one would view you as greedy for having talent. Writers write, no one begrudges them for that fact.

Send your material anywhere it's good enough to be noticed.

3. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

Stan Lee did the same thing when he started out as a writer.

I believe the story went something like this. He saw an ad in a magazine for a talented young writers competition and the best story would be published in the following month's issue. Stan Lee entered and won the competition every month for 3 months. On the 4th month, the company sent him a polite letter asking him to stop submitting stories to give everyone else a chance at winning.

Stan Lee laughs about it now but I'm inclined to agree with the decision. Just keep submitting until you lose or are asked to stop.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's done all the time... don't know where you got the idea it may not be kosher...

5. SWriter

SWriter New Member

If I was a mag editor I wouldnt want the same guy winning every month incase everyone else started thinking it knew the guy and was rigging it for him to win. Yea it probably isnt true and people reading it can see it might be worth winning but they always feel their work is better. And once people begin thinking they have no chance of winning they wont submit and I loose business.

Hence why I thought it might not be the done thing

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ok, but that has nothing to do with submitting, since just submitting again is no guarantee that the writer will again be the winner...