1. LittleFire

LittleFire New Member

I have a question for published authors.

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by LittleFire, Feb 18, 2010.

What was it like? Did you have to make your own cover art, as well as the synopsis, or did the publisher who accepted you hire someone to do that, and you give them your idea on it?

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Unless you self publish, you do not do the cover art yourself. In some cases, you may have input, but it's not up to you.

3. LittleFire

LittleFire New Member

i see. What about the synopsis?

ALSO, say you do get work published. You think it would stretch far to foreign countries like Japan? Cuz if it could happen, I would totally love to see my characters in video games one day.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Do you mean the synopsis when you submit a novel to an agent or publisher? Of course you do that yourself. If you mean the blurb that goes on the back cover, then that would probably be handled by the publisher.

And yes, I think that would be a stretch. Unless you're JK Rowling level successful. Or actually writing video games. If you're serious about writing, then just focus on the writing itself.

5. LittleFire

LittleFire New Member

^could you explain the differences between those two synopsis'?

And I actually did mean the back of the book thing where it explains part of the story, *you listed that one I know* but you got me curious on the other type of synopsis.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

When you submit a novel to a publisher/agent, they usually ask you to include a covering letter, and a synopsis detailing a complete outline of the plot.

7. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

And the main difference between them is that the one you include in a submission does not hide the ending the way the one on the back does. But the back cover summary is a good place to start to give you an idea of what details to include.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what's on the back of a book is not a synopsis, though it is a teasing, 'semi-summary' of the plot... a synopsis lays out the whole plot and includes the ending, which the back 'blurbs' never do...

for now, just concentrate on getting your book completed and the ms polished to a faretheewell...

9. LittleFire

LittleFire New Member

i see. Thank you for all the answers.

10. FrankB

FrankB New Member

In my case, I had input on the front cover. (I got to choose among three worked up by the publisher's art department.) And I wrote the back cover blurb.

Mammamaia's right though, you're putting the cart before the horse. There's lots of work to be done before you get to that part of the program.

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

To add a little light on the art work, Dan (my partner) has had artwork done for his stories and from what I have seen with the publishers, it really does depend on the individual publisher and your relationship with them. Dan has got in with a tight circle of writers, editors and publishers in the horror writing community and because of friendships built, when he has had work of his accepted, they have discussed the artwork and given him some say as to what will be going on the cover. He gives them his ideas, they give him theirs, they give him the artists ideas, and they work on it from there.

Ultimately, it comes down to the individual publisher. But I wouldn't worry too much on it until you are in that situation. Although I do know it is nice to know how things work in the publishing world. :)

Good luck