1. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Explaining his way of walking?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Albirich, May 9, 2015.

This character I have lost his leg from the knee down, and so he got a wooden peg leg. Note, this is medieval times.

Now, from this point on I've explained in the book that he walks with a limp. Would that be correct? I think it is...I just need to make sure.

Another question, he walks with a cane. Would a man that lost his leg from the knee down use a cane as well? (He is 74 years old though, so that could be a reasoning as well)
    The thing is I've made that cane into a very character specific item, and removing it would not be favorable to me right now.

2. Dazen

Dazen Active Member

Personally, I see no problem with the cane issue, and given that it is simply a wooden peg leg, not anything to today's prosthetic legs, I can understand that the character would walk with a "limp", like you said. I'd just say go for it :) Good luck with your work.

3. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Yes and Yes.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Mediaeval times, he'd have had a crutch (think Long John Silver).
    Yes, walking with a limp would be what he'd do.

Has he lost his leg below the knee, or above the knee? Absence of the knee joint would make a major difference to his agility - see Oscar Pistorius (before that unpleasantness in the bathroom) for an example of how well you can get by if you've still got your knees.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I have a character in a similar position. Mine hasn't lost his leg; he's had a major injury to his knee that never healed, and he cannot walk without a crutch. By that, I mean a crutch he has to lean his armpit on - without it, he falls over. I don't say he walks with a limp, I say he hobbles on a crutch or something equivalent.

I think a crutch is more appropriate than a cane for your character. I think of canes as being for mild injuries, and your guy obviously has a major one.