Tags:
  1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Founder Staff Contributor

Congrats NaCl!

Discussion in '"Consequences" Short Story Contest' started by Daniel, Jun 29, 2008.

The short story contest has ended and we have a winner. Firstly, I'd like to apologize for the delays we've faced with this contest - first in voting, then in combining the voting with the scores from the panel judges. That being said, we've finally compiled the two. In this contest we took the public voting and combined it with a judging panel in an attempt to make the judging more fair (to eliminate favoritism, cheating, etc.)

Coming in first place is Rice Wine by NaCl.

The winner was followed closely by Be all my sins remember'd by Banzai, A Lost Cowboy by garza33, and Accept the Consequences by Domoviye respectively. With the combined public voting and contest judging, this was a very close contest.

Congratulations to NaCl for coming in first place, and well done to everyone else who entered!

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Congrats NaCl :D It was a great story. They all were, actually.

3. garza33

garza33 Active Member

NaCl - You got my vote. Very good work and a very good story.

I do have a complaint. Given the number of people who supposedly read the stories while they were posted for comment, the number of people voting was a disappointment. Had more people voted the results would probably have been the same, but the winner would perhaps have a stronger sense of accomplishment.

That said, NaCl deserves a bit of a rowdy cheer from the crowd. No empty pints thrown on the field, please.

4. Domoviye

Domoviye Contributing Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Congratulations NaCI.
    It is a well deserved win.

5. FoxyMomma

FoxyMomma Contributing Member

Congrats Salty! Well done!

Congrats to everyone else that entered too. You all should be proud of yourselves.

6. JanesLife

JanesLife Member

Congrats! Just finished reading...was good work!

7. gigantes

gigantes Banned

bah, i'm not authorised to read the link.

anyway, congrats. looking forward to reading your story when possible now that i've encountered you via the orangutan debate. :p

8. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

Thanks to all for your kind words. While I enjoyed participating in this contest, I did not think my story would garner the result it did. After reading some of the other stories that I found compelling and well written, I was just happy to be "in the hunt".

As far as the "awards", I sent Daniel a private note before I made this post. In it, I asked him to use the money to host another such contest...I did not enter for the money. I appreciate the 3-month status as "supporter" and plan to continue that status after the award period ends. For the past few months, I have been participating in several other writing sites and this is the best writers' support site I have found.

Garza, I completely agree with your concern about the voting. I suspect the general public was not willing to invest the time reading "all" of the choices in order to cast an informed vote. In future contests, it might be better if the number of entries selected for public vote is reduced to five by the "private" reviewers first. This would make the task of reading "all" the entries less demanding. I really don't know the answer to the participation problem, but I agree with you that the low number of votes was surprising. BTW - I also found the low number of entries surprising. I expected to see thirty or forty.

Again, thank you.

.....Dean "NaCl" Sault

9. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Contributing Member

Loved your piece, NaCl and it certainly would have gotten my vote, had I not slipped the deadline for voting. :redface: oops.

I read each piece and found them all compelling and well written. No two were alike. It was fun to see how each covered the theme.

Congratulations NaCl and all the runners-ups! :D

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Congratulations, Dean!

Truly an excellent piece of writing. Not the only great entry, but very deserving of the win.

I hope no one who entered was discouraged by not taking first place. But there can only be one winner, and the competition was sharp.

Once more, kudos to NaCl for one fine story.

11. illuminati

illuminati Member

Congrats, NaCl! Really well deserved!!

12. just_danny

just_danny New Member

I echo the already much exclaimed Congratulations.

A good read. Looking forward to the next competition!

13. lessa

lessa Contributing Member

Congratulations.
    I read every story and it was a tough decision.
    There were a lot of entries but they were all quite interesting and it was a fun couple of days to read and then vote.
    Everyone should at least read them even if it is too late to vote.
    anyway congrats again.

14. The Dark Writer

The Dark Writer Member

Nice work!,
    Brilliant Story

15. pip

pip Member

Congrats Salty.

16. gigantes

gigantes Banned

finally read the story- nice work. congrats again on the win. if i could make two suggestions: (original thread is closed)

- story could benefit from condensation. there's some dawdling in places that needlessly prolongs things. some descriptions of actions and events are a little routine to be necessary to the story.

- i'd like to see more reactive description from characters instead of the method currently used, which is to immediately have them say something as a response. biggest example would be the farmer's reaction to pete's speech- it was an amazing, moving gesture which probably would have put a lump in anyone's throat, and yet you have the old farmer barely bat an eyelash before he replies- and his reply is mysteriously low-key as well. in places like this i'd therefore recommend 1) allusion to the passage of time, even if we're only talking about a 'pregnant moment', 2) describe some kind of physical reaction, for example in this case a widening of the eyes or thoughtful look or something which is essentially an equal but opposite reaction to something noteworthy which just happened.

sorry if these suggestions are not needed... i wanted to help make your story even better, maybe in preparation for publication. if i presume too much then i apologise.

17. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

This story was the initial draft of the first chapter in a book. It has since been rewritten to correct several problems I felt needed attention.

Thank you for your suggestions.