1. picklzzz

picklzzz New Member

Connecting the dots

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by picklzzz, Feb 1, 2012.

I have a great idea for a novel (at least I think). I've wrestled with so many this week and last (I guess I'm really serious already about starting something I believe in), but I have arrived at one that does NOT involve the paranormal as most of my other ideas have.

So, I have all these ideas down and have developed the main two plots and the main set of characters. I'm having trouble on connecting it all so that the following happens:

a) The reader is sufficiently clued into what's going on in this small town where disturbing events have happened, but it's not so obvious all along that they lose interest.

b) The characters are able to figure it out (but not too easily, or I don't have a story).

The main gist (without giving too much away) is a woman who is new to town (escaping a troubled past of course) witnesses odd things going on. The antatonist is a rogue scientist who has developed a new type of technology and is using this town as a sample of human subjects. I cannot fathom a way for the main characters to discover what's going on without it being so obvious!

How do you all do this with a mystery/suspense story or novel? I am clue dropping and such (or have that planned), but is there something else i can do to figure it out so that it will be a definite but reasonable surprise? Is there some type of method you use when planning your stories/novels to craft the story so that the suspense builds until the climax?

Thanks!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Read the stickied thread What is Plot Creationb and Development? in this forum. It will help you understand what makes up a plot, and how plots drive a story from one event to the next.

3. picklzzz

picklzzz New Member

Thanks! I will!

4. picklzzz

picklzzz New Member

Very nice job! I have a book on this, but I've yet to read it (every time I pick it up, I get a million more ideas and have to go write them down!). But, you summed up the essentials so well, and so concisely. I really appreciate you bringing this to my attention!