1. CrossWiredGarden

CrossWiredGarden Member

Multiple Story Arcs

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by CrossWiredGarden, Oct 24, 2016.

So one of the problems I've been having is that I have multiple ideas for story arcs for the characters in my current novel to go through. My main problem, however, is that I'm a bit worried that it would be too busy or rushed in a novel to go through all of the arcs. I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how I would be able to go through these arcs without making it feel as though I left things out.

Seraph751 likes this.
  2. hawls

hawls Active Member

You could make it a series. An arc for each novel.

3. CrossWiredGarden

CrossWiredGarden Member

The problem with that is while, there is a lot I want to explore with each arc, I know that there isn't really enough for a full novel for each arc.

4. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

I would say write out each arc individually and separately from one another. Then take a step back and see which arcs work best together.

GizmoEFG and CrossWiredGarden like this.
  5. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

@CrossWiredGarden , Are you putting yourself on a word count for your novel? There is nothing wrong with story arcs for characters other than the main as long as you stay to the plot and it doesn't slow down your story. If you added 30-100 more pages of good story, why would you be worried or feel rushed?
    I suggest giving it a chance. What if those story arcs were the difference between a good and great story?
    I have done a couple betas and have seen at least four stories ruined at final draft because they took certain arcs out. It was kind of sad, all four in my opinion were very good and the arcs they took out were very vital to the story. Now they seem very bland. I felt bad after telling them that, but they really ruined a good thing thinking the way you are above.

6. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I'd try adapting each arc to support some singular overreaching arc, keeping the general idea of them but making them gel more. Some might need to be abbreviated, so you'd need to decide what's really most important about them. I'd second planning it out as a series, as well - separate the arcs into at least two piles, where one can all happen concurrently/sequentially and the others need a certain other event from the first pile to happen before they'd make any sense, and save the second pile to be worked on as a sequel and built up. Each arc doesn't need to be its own book, just play nice with a few other arcs.

hawls likes this.
  7. CrossWiredGarden

CrossWiredGarden Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think that I'm going to do what was suggested and just continue on just planning everything out then seeing how well it works with length and all of that.
    And there is one overarching arc of the main character over coming social anxiety thoughout the 3 arcs by meeting those who support him. I was just worried about the length mainly because I am only just getting into the 2nd arc I have planned and the outline already had about 10 chapters.
    I'll get back to figuring out if the story is going to be a series or just one rather long novel once I'm all done with the outline.