1. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Constitutional law and amendments

Discussion in 'Research' started by Robert_S, Jun 19, 2014.

Can an amendment to the constitution change a base article? Article V of the constitution says if 2/3 of the states agree, a convention is called up and if 3/4 of the states agree to a proposal, it will pass and become an amendment.

Is it possible for an amendment to change these parameters?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'm fairly sure there's only one provision that can't be amended ("no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate"). So I would say yes, it's possible to do what you're asking, but there might be other unamendable provisions I'm not aware of.

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I don't see why not. Other amendments have changed parts of the constitution (such as the direct election of senators, among others).

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

By definition, an Amendment to the Constitution is a change to the original document. Theoretically, any provision can be amended, except, as @thirdwind noted, as provided in the article addressing Amendments. However, even this could be altered if Article V itself was amended, or if a convention decided, instead of amending the current Constitution, to draft a completely new one. This is one reason why there has rarely been any serious discussion of amending the Constitution via convention.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014