Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Story Man

Story Man New Member

Contest Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Story Man, Aug 15, 2007.

(top) "You can vote for yourselves But I would hope in the name of good sportsmanship you'd vote for a short story you haven't written. But I'll leave that decision up to you."

With respect, this isn't a satisfactory way of overseeing things. In future you should either have a rule that authors can vote for themselves, or that they can't vote for themselves. You should also say whether authors must vote for a story in any event, or can abstain from voting. You shouldn't leave it vague and ambiguous like this. Otherwise the outcome will be arbitrary rather than a level playing field.

(<<< + Why am I shown as a 'junior member'? I am 47).

2. adamant

adamant Contributing Member Contributor

It says they can vote for themselves if they want, however, she hopes people will vote for others. What's so vague about that?

Just vote for whomever you think did best and let that be the end of it.

3. Story Man

Story Man New Member

"It says they can vote for themselves if they want, however, she hopes people will vote for others. What's so vague about that?"

It isn't a rule, is what's vague about it.

4. adamant

It's not a rule... just what she would like to see. Not much of a reason to pay it any mind. Also, voting is purely optional to everyone. This whole contest is pretty much free choice... vote if you want, enter if you want, and choose whomever you want. It hasn't failed us, so there isn't much reason to change it.

The reason you are a 'junior member' is because of your post count. After 10 I believe you become a 'member', then a 'senior member' at 100 posts. I think it's like that...

5. chase42

chase42 Member

Story Man, settle down, there arent any prizes at stake here, so its ok if we stick to an honor system.

btw, there's a quote button that will save you a lot of effort, too

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The intent is to remind people to really give every submission a fair and critical read before voting, and to try not to cling to the fondness you have to what you just put a lot of work into writing.

It may be that after you have read all the other entries as objectively as you can, you strongly feel that none of them move you, and that you honestly feel yours is best. In that case, vote for your own.

The purpose of the guideline is to make you stop and think about all the entries, rather than just going for the win.

7. Story Man

Story Man New Member

Originally Posted by Story Man
    (top) [--what I will call Statement A] "You can vote for yourselves But I would hope in the name of good sportsmanship you'd vote for a short story you haven't written. But I'll leave that decision up to you."
    With respect, this isn't a satisfactory way of overseeing things. In future you should either have a rule that authors can vote for themselves, or that they can't vote for themselves. You should also say whether authors must vote for a story in any event, or can abstain from voting. You shouldn't leave it vague and ambiguous like this. Otherwise the outcome will be arbitrary rather than a level playing field.

------------

- Cogito replied thus: The intent is to remind people to really give every submission a fair and critical read before voting, and to try not to cling to the fondness you have to what you just put a lot of work into writing.

It may be that after you have read all the other entries as objectively as you can, you strongly feel that none of them move you, and that you honestly feel yours is best. In that case, vote for your own.

The purpose of the guideline is to make you stop and think about all the entries, rather than just going for the win.

-----------------

Cogito, with respect, "You can vote for yourselves But I would hope in the name of good sportsmanship you'd vote for a short story you haven't written. But I'll leave that decision up to you." is in fact a simple permission to vote for yourself if you want, coupled with a slice of wishful thinking.

Your moralistic "It may be that after you have read all the other entries as objectively as you can, you strongly feel that none of them move you, and that you honestly feel yours is best. In that case, vote for your own" is nice, of course, but it isn't embodied in fact in the language of Statement A. Nor does Statement A actually oblige entrants to vote at all. If some vote and others don't vote, or if some vote for their own work when other work was better, then that isn't fair or a rational way to run the show.

Writers should say what they mean, not what they think they mean.

If what you say is intended by Statement A, then Statement A ought to read something along the lines of: "All entrants must also vote, once only, in the poll subsequently, once submissions have closed, and are not permitted to abstain from voting. By entering, they agree (a) that they will vote in the subsequent poll and (b) that they will vote for the entry which, acting honestly, fairly and with complete integrity, they consider to be the best entry in the competition (which may or may not happen to be their own entry)."

8. adamant

Will this make you happy?

An opinion-based, optional ballot for whomever the voter best believes has entered the most exceptional opus for said voluntary contest within the stated deadline. (You are unable to cast more than one vote)

We expected everyone to use their own minds... you seemed to have figured out what it meant. Besides, it not like stating it differently is going to force a person's change of heart. The rules do not deviate from the morals of any other contest.

9. chase42

chase42 Member

ok, lets review the facts:

-it seems that 5 other contests before this one have been run without incident or flame war

-there are no prizes at stake

-the contest is (for the most part, in a virtual sense) anonymous

-there are fewer than 10 entries

-no one really cares enough to make a sophistcated set of rules that are overcomplicated

thus, I would have to say that it would be a chore and waste of time to develop such rules solely to please ONE member of this forum who, by the way, has spent his first few posts here by criticizing the way of a "society" of which you are a new and unrespected member.

IMHO, your posts on this thread (which comprise 60% of your total post count) have been arrogant, elitist, over-criticizing, and downright whiny. Despite the fact that all of the members on this board are open-minded and intellectual, you are getting on my (and no doubt several other members') nerves.

10. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'm curious, what happens if there is a tie?

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I think if there is a tie for first place, they share the laurels. After all, there's no prise to divide. :)

You could look through the past contests to see if it has happened yet. Or perhaps Torana could add something to clarify what happens in such a contingency.

I think, but am not sure, that a previous contest moderator may have held back his/her vote for such an occurrence, to break any possible tie.

12. Torana

Torana Contributing Member Contributor

Story Man and others, thankyou for your input into this. I will take what you have said into concideration.

I do hold back on casting my Vote for that very reason Cogito. Although I myself can only vote for which piece I feel is the best piece.

13. Torana

This thread has been created for the sole purpose of discussions about the contests for both short story and poetry.

Of late there have been a number of posts about rules and so forth posted within the contests and it makes things a little harder for me when it comes to the end of the contests to sift through and find the submissions.

So if you have any questions in regards to the contests can you please post your questions in here and state which contest it is for.

Thankyou very kindly
    Torana

14. pyrox91992

pyrox91992 Senior Member

well, i think that the system works great torana, i know that some a certain member may not like it, but its worked for us so y change it. u run this just fine and i know that i havent been able to really compete myself but the poems taht go here are phenominal or however u spell it.

15. pyrox91992

pyrox91992 Senior Member

o, and story man, plz, just relax, ur a newbie and u r not accustomed to the way of life in this forum,. u may not like the way that it works, but u know wut, it has been here before u got here and it has always worked fine, so eriously, like it or not, we are not all gonna change the forum for just u

16. Story Man

Story Man New Member

Fine, Chase, I'll take my 'arrogant, elitist, over-criticizing, and downright whiny' ass out of here then.

17. Torana

I am sorry you feel that way Story Man and I would like to thankyou for your contribution.

Thankyou kindly
    Torana

18. chase42

chase42 Member

I am, in hindsight (which is 20/15, BTW), sorry for my remarks toward you, they were rude and perhaps a little too tempermental.

However, the main reason I like to post here is because 95% of the member population is very relaxed and all together they act as a tightly-knit community. Thus, you can see how I would be offended if someone new walked in and immediately started criticizing the way we do things. Also, you failed to take into account the fact that your posts may have made the thread moderator overly nervous (seeing as it is her first time running this contest).

That said, I am sorry and hope that you understand.

1 person likes this.
  19. kmlovering

kmlovering Senior Member

Okay, I realize this will be a lame question, but I can't seem to find the answer. How do we vote? Where is the voting thread? Thanks for the help.

20. Banzai

The voting thread will go up when the contest closes. It will be stickied in the relevant forum :)

21. kmlovering

kmlovering Senior Member

Duh, I should have realized that!

22. Banzai

It's okay. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Well, actually, there are many stupid questions that get asked, but that isn't one of them :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.