1. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat

Continuity

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by sidtvicious, Jun 7, 2009.

Ok I have a question about how each of you likes to write a story. Do you like to write your stories as the plot unfolds or do you write scenes as they come to your mind? I'm asking this because I've currently hit a lull in my writing, and my mind wants to switch to a later chapter, but i'm afraid of the plot consequences that i may cause if I jump ahead.

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

I tend to work forward, beginning to end in that order, but if you know where your story is going it is conceivable that you could write a later scene before you've written the preceding text. If you did, as your thread title suggests, you would need to make sure that you refer forward to that scene as well as back to what you've already written when you're bridging the gap to avoid any inconsistencies between the two.

3. starseed

starseed New Member

Write whatever scenes you want, whenever you feel inspired to write them. I jump all around. That's my way, I can't say if it would work for you.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Some writers have scenes, and they write here and there and then piece it together. Others, like me, write chronologically, beginning to end.

There's nothing wrong with skipping ahead and then coming back. Yes, there may be some minor plot issues, but you can catch them when you revise. It may take a little longer, but if you're not making any progress the little longer in revision is a moot point. There is one best selling author who writes his novels backwards, last chapter first to the first chapter last (or so I read in an interview years back).

Terry

5. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I usually write in emotional scenes or battles ahead of when they come into the story. That way I can read them and see where they need to be improved. Most of my story, however, is written in order, especially the drama/romance/mystery that is between every battle or significant event as a sort of subplot.

6. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I don't see a problem with jumping ahead to later scenes honestly. It may have an impact on continuity, but that's where editing and revising come into play. I actually write whatever scene is in my head at the time and plan on doing a great deal of editing when everything's done.

I actually find it works better to write what's on your mind when its there. I'll lose important details if I don't write it then and there. Even if it eventually changes slightly, at least I'll have something to work with.

In order to combat any serious continuity issues, I have a very detailed outline written that describes the general scene for each chapter (though it seems to be revised often) so I know exactly where its going and where its been.