1. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

About new members

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Youssef Salameh, May 28, 2014.

Hi everybody, and special greetings to the administrators of this great forum.
    Just want to ask an important and daring issue regarding internet forum rules, in general; we don't mean this great forum, i.e, writing forums.
    The issue is as follows: sometimes, a very interested new member registers in a forum. Now, he may share great information, and many people may share their comments with him. However, for a certain personal purpose he stops.
    But begins again after a month or two. Many people may notice that despite his great efforts in writing and sharing in the previous month/s few people tend share with him, if any.
    So, the person starts to get frustrated, since he begins to learn that its the website rules and nothing else, i.e, he should comment on other threads. however, in defense, he might say well, am still a guest, my few threads admit that; and we believe that he has the right to say it. Since older people, in forums, are the people who should be caring, and receiving, not the opposite.
    So what is the solution to such problem?
    Am eager to share this important issue.
    Again all my respects and pure love to the great administrators of this great writing website.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

If I am reading this correctly, the issue is this: in some other unnamed internet forum, you have "shared" with others (posted comments?) but other members have not "shared with you (posted responses?), and that you think this is due to the rules of that forum that you are expected to comment on other threads as well, which you are not comfortable doing.

Each forum has its own customs and its own atmosphere, depending on the goals of the forum and the personalities of its members. Since you say you are not referring to this forum, I really can't comment beyond that. You'd probably be much better off commenting there.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

This is certainly true, and different forums change over time as well depending on "demographic shifts", to borrow a phrase. I am a member of several writing forums. Some have a very "closed ranks" feel, like a private club. Unless an established member takes you under their proverbial wing, you feel rather invisible to the core of conversation. I am a member of at least one forum that is noticeably Eurocentric, where Americans are tolerated, but the word welcome would not really apply. I am a member of another that is the complete opposite.

I would be intrigued to know what rules the forum has in place that would evince such an atmosphere. As Ed mentions, without further data I can only speculate as to what is happening there. Do you mean actual written rules, or the unwritten rules that are really just a statement of a strong tendency of action?

4. Motley

Motley Active Member

I tend to drift in and out of forums, which puts me in a semi-permanent position of 'new.' I share things when I feel like I have something to say and get into conversations when people respond to things I say.

If people do not respond to me, or if they are rude in some way or treat me as if I an intruding on some personal conversation, I chalk it up to a rude person or people and not some forum rule.

5. Youssef Salameh

Thanks for your reply, we really appreciate it. But it seems that am a little bit misunderstood. Of course each forum has its people and its rules, and we really respect them.
    But my point is much deeper.
    Yes, forums have a common social RULE, which is as you all know, threads, posts, sticky threads etc...
    My point is this: Some senior members adhere to the rules rather than the quality of the subject. They tend to reply the person who shares more posts, rather than the person who gives information based upon experience.
    Some senior members won't reply a new member if he doesn't share anything with them. And I believe that a new member should be welcomed by the senior and not the opposite.
    Here, we hope that you got our point, so what is the solution to that, please?
    The great writing forums website is, as I guess, a part of the forums social media systems.

6. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

I'm a bit confused. The more you participate in any kind of discussion, the more likely that people will converse with you.

I don't think anyone rations their replies based upon how active the other poster is. I know I don't and I haven't noted that trend in others either.

cutecat22 likes this.
  7. Youssef Salameh

[QUOTE="I would be intrigued to know what rules the forum has in place that would evince such an atmosphere. As Ed mentions, without further data I can only speculate as to what is happening there. Do you mean actual written rules, or the unwritten rules that are really just a statement of a strong tendency of action?[/QUOTE]

Dear Sir, I mean the common rules of every forum; the rules that every new member reads prior to registering. We are all under the law, but sometimes the number of posts set by a member may cover or wipe the great quality of another member's good posts.
    Sometimes a senior members may look to the number of posts rather than their quality. Sometimes, a new member may write a new and great topic better than the old ones including me. That person shouldn't be in any way excluded. And we should give him a unique appreciation, isn't it dear brother/sister?

8. Youssef Salameh

Yes indeed, we appreciate your comment. Thanks so much for commenting.

9. Youssef Salameh

Yes I agree with you, but many times it happens, in forums, that senior members ratio people with their number of posts rather than the quality of the posts. They want to be welcomed by new members!
    Here, simply we want the solution.

10. Youssef Salameh

Of course am not referring to a person in particular. Our pure love to all.

11. Wreybies

I cannot speak for every person, or every forum, but a member's post count is of little relevance to me personally at all. I know that in some forum environments "post count" is a thing, a dynamic people pay attention to, but I don't think it's ever been a part of our mentality here. Perhaps this is why you're getting a few raised eyebrows of confusion as regards your original question. It's just not something we've ever really given any coin in our community. My personal drive to speak with anyone in the forum is based solely on my level of interest in whatever subject they bring up or the contribution they are lending to an existing subject.

How to remedy this dynamic in a forum wherein the counting of posts is given weight...? I haven't a clue, because I'm not really sure why they give this dynamic any importance to begin with.

cutecat22 likes this.
  12. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I'll chime in and say I've been part of exclusive groups on both sides.
    It really depends on the community and what the people are after.

This forum seems more all-inclusive though there is definitly big boys and little kids but mostly due to experience and knowledge (kinda like a student/teacher mantality) or at least that's what I felt and saw. I could be just imagining things. Though, I think it's a good thing as it does seem to give more credit and respect to those that truly do deserve it.

I personally always look at the post count of another user depending on the fourm. If they're active a lot, I tend to trust them more for things like RPing or long dicussions because I know they'll come back and reply often. I feel as if those who have been a member for a while with a low post count tend to reply slower or simply disappear.

Fun quirk of mine; I look under "new posts" and make an effort to reply to any thread with 0-2 replies more than other threads. Unless the subject interests me, I stay away from massive threads where my post will easily get lost in a conversation with pre-established people.

13. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I'm relatively new to this forum but I have not found anyone (new or old) that won't converse with me due to my low post count. On the contrary, I have found that different people converse with me depending what I post or converse about.

As Wreybies said, (but put another way) if your post is not relevant to the reader or is asking a question that the reader cannot answer, then the reader won't converse back regardless of whether or not your post count is 1, 21, 101 or 1001.

14. Youssef Salameh

OF COURSE WE CANNOT SPEAK FOR EVERY PERSON OR FORUM; BUT WE TRY TO REACH A POINT WHERE WE GIVE EVERYONE HIS RIGHT REGARDING THE QUALITY OF HIS/HER SUBJECT IN A THREAD OR POST. I am NOT claiming such rights at all for myself. And I say, that humanitarian rules are above world forum rules. Credit should be given, my friend, to anyone who deserves. weather he has only one post that has a great quality, or he posts slowly.
    as to this great forum, I chose it because its great, and its members are great. Thanks for your reply, Sir.

15. Youssef Salameh

Thanks so much for your informative post. All appreciations from us.

16. Youssef Salameh

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes indeed, me too, any person in this great forum who wouldn't converse.
    Still its the member's freedom, and I respect it, and I work for the sake of this humane freedom.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  17. Wreybies

Ok.... Not really sure why the all-caps, but... I wasn't saying that you were making any such claim. Perhaps we have a slight language barrier here. I'm always willing to make allowances for that given that our membership is globe-spanning.

I'm not sure what credit you are speaking of. You must remember that any forum environment is a purely voluntary paradigm. If you look through our written rules, you will notice that they focus on the things one may not do and also on requirements one must meet before being able to avail oneself of certain features. There are no written rules regarding how a member must engage other members or activities a member must engage in to remain in our community. Firstly, that's unfriendly and doesn't espouse freedom of choice. Secondly, it's not enforceable at all. Even I as a mod can only persuade members to engage in the activities I see as valuable to the growth of the forum. I can entice. I can cajole. I can ask and occasionally play the clown to make an activity or a participation appealing :), but I cannot force anyone. I must use what I know of human nature to these ends, but I cannot change human nature to be something other than what it is.

You must also look at the nature of the venue itself. What is its purpose? I don't know what kind of forum the forum you are speaking of happens to be, but I think this applies in a general way to all.

For example:

We had a member a while back who was sure that the paradigm-shifting scientific discovery he had made in his garage was going to change the face of humanity and wanted to tell it to us at length. He was bemused and disappointed when we didn't show the interest he felt his discovery merited. The problem was simple. We are writing forum, not a theoretical physics forum. We were the wrong audience for the message he was trying to get across. We are all trying to get published, not travel through time in garage-made time travel devices.

We have had many members come through our community over the years who felt very passionate about one thing or another: science, religion, politics, gender issues, race issues, etc. Many different things. But in the end we are a writing forum. It is our purpose and our reason for gathering together.

Is your participation in that other forum in line with their purpose, with their venue? Is it a community brought together by the concept and the material you are sharing?

minstrel, cutecat22 and Okon like this.
  18. Youssef Salameh

Dear brother/sister, the credit am speaking of is the respect. To pay respect to the valuable topics the new member is writing. especially if they are few. So regardless of his participation, if he writes a topic that deserves to be put as a "sticky thread" why not put it as such? suppose that he cannot participate due to personal reasons, does that mean not to consider it among the sticky topics where other ACTIVE writers are writing? What has his great topic to do with him being participating or not?
    Again I don't mean anything regarding the unfriendly rules that forces the member to engage into his/her personal opinions or activity whatsoever. ِWe are against all kinds of psychological domination.
    As to any other forums am having issues with? no there isn't We respect all forums as long as they are just and fair to everybody, just as this great forum is.
    Our respects to all.

19. Wreybies

I mention "other forum" because you have said now on several occasions that the dynamic about which you are asking is "not this forum", so I can only assume there is some other place about which you are speaking, or are you in fact speaking about our forum?

Against better judgement, my curiosity must be assuaged: Who is "we"? You keep slipping into the 1st person plural and I am wondering why.

obsidian_cicatrix and minstrel like this.
  20. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I suspect he means the editorial "we".

I also suspect the forum he is referring to is this one, disclaimers notwithstanding. Otherwise, why bring it up here?

Wreybies likes this.
  21. Youssef Salameh

Thanks for your reply. Our appreciations. Frankly speaking, I like this great forum so much. That's why am participating in it. I believe that its members are great also.
    God bless you all.

22. tupbup

tupbup Member

Is this a philosophical question about forums in general? I'm a little confused. I did not know there was a rule against new members creating a "sticky" thread. Surely if the topic is considered important enough by the moderators to always stay at the top of the forum then they will do just that. Or is it that a new member cannot make their own thread sticky? The only limitation I know of on threads is posting work before we have filled all of the criteria on critiquing.

Maybe I missed the point...

23. Youssef Salameh

All our respects to editorial staff of this great forum. Actually, the road is very long, for me, to be among the editorial board; whom I have the honor to be with.
    The road is long in terms of experience, and literary writing.
    Our appreciations to all of you.
    Best regards.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  24. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

Facebook explains in a great way how social interactions happens in the human kind:

- if you say that the cure to cancer has been discovered: 1 like, or nothing at all;

- if you say that you're watching a movie where a famous actress appears nude: 1587 likes, 983 comments and more than 300 shares.

;)

Sorry, I need to put this joke :oops:

When you go to a party, who have people around him/she: the extrovert or the introvert? Don't matter the quality of the conversation. It's a human behavior. Some people can become popular through time and you cannot explain why (or you see that it's called charisma), and others will be always "invisible". I know it, I'm the first example from Facebook ;)

25. Youssef Salameh

Hi, no, believe me, we are not talking about any rule that is against anybody.
    thanks for your post.
    Indeed, its the respected moderators issue as to consider it sticky or not. I totally agree with that..
    Thanks again. All respects, Sir.