1. HLilly

HLilly New Member

Plot vs Romance Balance Issues

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by HLilly, Dec 17, 2012.

Hello!
    Well, I have a little problem with developing a story.
    For starters, let's call the characters A and the romantic figure B.

This story should have romance as part of the plot; however, in the original concept A and B's relationship started to engulf too much of the general plot rather than it being a balanced element of the plot.
    Therefore, I decided to start once again from zero, since I don't want A's loosing sense of self either, nor to the general plot to diminish.
    I decided to erase completely B's character and change it for someone with less authority in the plot. Let's say,since B was a main villain, B2 got downgraded to henchman.
    Then I added C, a new character that would help A keep the story moving and well paced.
    C is a big part of the key to most of the plot. A and C have a really close relationship and spend more time than A and B2.
    Since A and C look at each other as siblings this works fine without the romance.

My dilemma is, A and B2 might not have much chemistry in this universe.
    A gets to develop on it's own without the help of B2, so they don't share many experiences together.

C ,however, is in love with someone else, in a legendary way that cannot compare to the bond it shares with A.
    C's crusade is only for the person it is fighting for who we will call X.
    While C and X will never end up together, I really doubt that C' would fall for someone else.
    Pretty much C's existence is only for X's sake, and I doubt it would work out with someone else.
    Then again, I am the writer and I can figure a way out....if I really wanted...

The problem I think is that I really wanted a romance like C and X's, for A and B2. However, C and X's romance is one doom to failure
    which is why the plot can work out. When A and B tried it initially the plot and their characters got lost in their romance.
    I don't want to take the romance element away from A, but it would not work entirely with B2 and much less with C.
    I don't know what to do , I just want to cry hahaha.
    help.

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Insert some names for your characters please - give them fake names, I don't care - but this whole ABC thing is just confusing. It's like reading algebra.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

You are asking help on the one thing a writer should always do for herself - work out the plot. There isn't a right answer here, or a wrong one, as long as you work it out for yourself.

My advice is to decide what you want to do, since you mentioned you had an "original concept". Then, go to the Plot Development section and read Cogito's advice in the thread pinned to the top of the list. Figure out what the general plot is, the one you say the romance took over. What this really means is that you became so engrossed with the romance subplot that you lost your grip on the main plot. Write a brief outline of the main plot - what main character wants to do (and why), what challenges get in the way, and how they are overcome. Don't even think about the romance subplot until this is done. Then, address the romance subplot(s).

Good luck.

4. HLilly

HLilly New Member

Haha, I never thought it would seem like algebra, sorry!
    However, I don't want to reveal their genders, I feel it would get in the way of the advice?
    Maybe If I use animals. Maybe that is the way to go! Ok. I'll do it in this post!

If it is way to hard to read on ABC terms, here are Animal Terms:

5. HLilly

HLilly New Member

Wow thanks. I'm going to check ASAP the post-it
    I'm not so used to write without the romance, but in this case, It might be my only cure!
    Thanks again.

EDIT:
    I'm also scared, that if I focus entirely on the plot I might forget to just develop the romance or see it just as too meddlesome, and I will end up trashing it all, story and everything...
    I have done romance stories before, successfully, I don't know whats going on with me.
    Since, it has to be a romance story, pretty much my field won't budge much into reading if there is no romance involved.

6. EdFromNY

As writers, we look for opportunities to grow. That usually means taking ourselves out of our comfort zones.

7. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Ok I've read the animal version - thanks for the revision :)

Now, having read it, I'm not entirely sure just why you've deleted Bird from your story altogether? Surely the fact that the romance was taking over at least means the chemistry was working amazingly - when something's working well, that's not really the best reason for er... taking it out :D

Just write it as you have it - with Bird, that is - just write the whole thing. You can later go back and chop down the scenes, take out some of the romances that are excessive, or incorperate some of the romance scenes into something else. Romance can develop in the midst of action too right? Can't Bird and Fox do things together that advance the plot, and then in the downtime, as there always must be some, throw in the romance and hints etc.

Maybe look at Hunger Games - Collins had a love triangle going in the midst of a revolution and I felt it did not dominate the main story at all, but rather served as a very interesting and important subplot. See how Collins balanced it, where she incorperated the sprinkles of romance or conflicts - a lot of them, especially the ones with Gale, were not very long at all, maybe a page at best. Some of it wasn't even direct romance - like in the 2nd book when Gale gets flogged half to death and Katniss tends to him. It advanced the plot - it showed the increased oppression of the regime, the changed nature of the security in District 12 thanks to Katniss, and led naturally onto exploring Katniss' feelings.

8. Rose Hunt

Rose Hunt Member

LOL The animal names make me think it is a strange kids book :)

Ok, seriously, you are the writer and you are supposed to be in control, however, I find my characters like to do what they want. Sometimes, I am left totally wondering how I am going to work with what is going down on the screen. Usually, my answers come from other things. For instance, I was writing a detective story once and wanted the detective and the coroner to have a relationship. Unfortunately, I got stuck and was stuck for a while. But I read another book for fun and found the path that the writer took would work for me, in this case it was giving a hidden double life to the coroner which doubled her value to the plot and made the relationship more believable because it was less smooth and more realistic because of the secrets and obstacles.

Perhaps you just need to start writing and see where the characters go by themselves. Just remember that you have to make them jump through a few hoops because love ain't ever easy.

Good luck!

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

listen to ed... he's wise and he's right...

10. EdFromNY

Why, thank you, Maia.:)