Cookie-Cutter Enemies

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Gears, Jul 25, 2008.

1. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Maybe a majority of humanity would, but as was discussed earlier, what might be discussed as 'fringe groups' may not.

Here are a few examples off the top of my head: Some humans or groups may want to side with the aliens, hoping that would lead to an avenue for survival. Others may feel that the invasion and elimination of the human race is just retrubution (divine or otherwise) for humanity's past actions. Some individuals or groups might be in total denial, and oppose actions being taken, overtly or covertly. Others might feel it is a conspiracy by a bunch of elite/rich/connected cutting deals and manipulating events while looking out for their own good/survival at the expense of humany.

Terry

2. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

My coment was specified for the humans can't coexist peasefully with each other. If a majority of the human race worked towards this one goal than yes as a race we would coexist with each other fine.

3. Ungood

Ungood New Member

I had not thought of this, but this was touched upon in "They Live". very good point and issue.

4. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I guess in most science fiction, the aliens just serve as an anonymous, faceless enemy the main characters have to overcome, much like orcs in traditional fantasy.

David Brin's Sundiver is interesting in that it has a number of alien species, both "good" ones that are helping mankind, and "evil" ones that are trying to put them down, and there are both racial and individual differences among the aliens.

5. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

WhoWatchesTheWatchmen? New Member

In the video game Mass Effect, they did an amazing job giving Aliens life and character, which sort of redefined the alien cliche.