1. ANONYMI

ANONYMI New Member

Copyright Infringement

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ANONYMI, Mar 21, 2012.

The novel I'm writing involves the creation of a new ballet. If you wanted to make up a ballet based on an existing film - say, Titanic - to include in the book, would it be necessary to obtain permission from the directors to do this? The book itself is not based on the film at all, the ballet is just included in it as a minor side-story. I really never intend to even go into depth with it, but I'd rather avoid a lawsuit just in case. Thanks.

2. live2write

live2write Contributing Member

Isn't the story about the titanic a historical event in history? I do not find it as copyright infringement if you incorporate the experiences of being on the titanic or the titanic in general. However, using the direct story I believe is copyright infringement.

My suggestion is to not use the characters or the same story line. What is the ballet about?

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

live2write is correct as long as your characters aren't Jack Dawson and Rose and you stick to the historical events it is fine.

It is a good time to write it with centenary being in a couple of weeks.

4. Elvis

Elvis Member

I'm no expert, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, and always check for yourself before going ahead with something that you have concerns about.

But I think that the other posters before me are accurate.

If you're basing the ballet on the Titanic, then you should be fine; but if you're basing your ballet on the movie Titanic, then that is indeed copyright infringement.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, they are correct... don't base it on any of the movies, use any of their characters or plot lines... base it only on the event itself...

as for now being a good time, due to the centenary, that really isn't relevant, since it will be a year or several, before you can complete the book and get it published and in bookstores, even if you're lucky enough to snag an agent and publisher right off the bat...

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

I was thinking more from the point of view of the available inspiration than the publishing deadline. The Titanic is one of those things that never really goes out of fashion, its only a few years ago Dr Who used it for their Christmas Special.

Right now The Titanic is everywhere, there is probably a display somewhere nearby that has items on display etc

7. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

From what I understand, the OP is intending to use the film Titanic as the inspiration for a ballet that forms a subplot in a book about a company of ballet dancers - it doesn't seem to me that the book is about the Titanic.

However, in order to get around the copyright problem, you could compose your own ballet based on real historical figures who were on the Titanic - this might require considerable research, so the fact that it's the centennary and there are lots of books, TV programmes and exhibitions about is somewhat useful.

8. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega New Member

I agree with Nakhti in that the OP is using the Titanic as a basis for their ballet, not about the Titanic itself.

Question is, which Titanic movie? If you're using the modernday one (1997) - with the gun fight [find that outrageously funny as there's no historical proof of such an event ever happening] - then to an extent I would say copyrighting because well it's obvious to what and where you are getting your ideas from with respect to your ballet.

If you want to do something classic or interesting use the original Titanic films - not the cheap ripoffs.