1. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

First Publication Rights

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by CharlieVer, Sep 14, 2009.

I was just reading some old posts when I came across a post a while back by Cognito. He was talking about posting too much of your work, he mentioned a book he was working on that he stopped posting after the prologue, he said:

I'm honestly not familiar with this.

What are "First Publication Rights"?

What are the risks of posting too much?

(I thought the only risk was theft--I registered my first draft with the copyright office to avoid such a risk.)

What reading do you recommend to learn more on the subject (or should I just google it)?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Take a look at this thread.

First Publication Rights are exactly what they say on the tin. It's what most publishers want, and are looking to buy; basically they are buying the rights to make the first publication. If a piece has previously published, then you can't sell the rights to a publisher.

3. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

Wow.... I think I won't post any more of my book on the Review Board.

I've only posted half the prologue... and that, I've already modified heavily.

I think...hope...I'm safe.

Charlie

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Yeah, you should be fine. Given that it's only a small amount, and it's probably going to be drastically changed, then it shouldn't be a problem.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

charlie...
    registering your already existing copyright does not protect it from theft, which can happen anyway...

it only gives you the right to be awarded court costs and damages, if there is a court case...

in all countries that are signatories to the berne convention, your work is protected by copyright from the moment it's completed under your name and exists in some reproducible form, which is why registering is not done by most experienced book writers and is left for their publishers to take care of...

if all you've posted is half of a prologue, then your first rights are still safe...