1. WaltzElf

WaltzElf Member

Copyright question

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by WaltzElf, Nov 9, 2009.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this - but having it backed up by someone better versed in media law than me would be greatly appreciated.

Take, for example, a TV show such as Heroes, a movie series such as Friday the 13th or a videogame series like Mario brothers. If I was to write a 'history of' or an analytical piece on something like that, would I be able to publish it?

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

It depends on what you mean by "history." Take for instance the Mario Bros...if by "history of" you meant something along the lines of an analysis of how it was developed, by who, the response to its release, its impact on video games, then it would be fine as long as you didn't write anything defamatory or untrue and you worked in a professional way (properly acknowledging your sources, conducting the proper research, etc). It would be the "unauthorized" history of, though, unless they were involved themselves, copy-editing, things like that.

3. WaltzElf

WaltzElf Member

Hm, that's what I thought. Awesome, thanks for that one!

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you need to read up on the 'fair use' exception to the copyright laws... and, if you're serious about being a writer, learn what can and can't be done in re all things to do with copyrighted material... go to the source, for definitive info: www.copyright.gov

when in doubt, always consult a literary attorney... and as far as i know, there are none here... while most of us are willing and eager to be helpful, legal issues are too important to leave up to guesswork...

5. WaltzElf

WaltzElf Member

When I was at uni, way back now, I did a course on media law, and managed to come out more confused than when I went in. I was not made for understanding law. I nearly got myself sued once by accident because of that.

It was my intention to consult with a attorney if the ideas floating about in the ether turned into pages of text, but forums such as these are always great for early preliminary research (well, that and wiki), and you never know, there might be someone around that's published such a book ;)

Also, just for future reference:
    - I am, I just haven't published books :)

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The trouble with forums is that you also get advice that is completely uninfomed, and you can't always tell the difference if you don't already know the correct answer.

The cost of a wrong answer is too high. If an official site such as http://www.copyright.gov doesn't answer your question, you should either play it safe or consult a literary attorney.

7. WaltzElf

WaltzElf Member

That's interesting. Cogito has appeared in my posts :eek:

:p

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I wondered where that edit went. Oops,

9. Operaghost

Operaghost Contributing Member

What you are suggesting is no different to the many academic essays you can get on texts and provided you proeprly reference everything you sue there should be no reaosn why you can't write it, getting it published however is a lot more difficult as unless you are a university professor or the like, most academic publishers won't take notice of it.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

an interesting typo/freudian slip!

11. Operaghost

Operaghost Contributing Member

it was a typo as i write type too quickly at times and don't pay attention but i see your point lol