1. TheMarine

TheMarine New Member

Copyright

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TheMarine, Jun 19, 2010.

I don't know if this is a reborn thread, probably is, so sorry!

I was wondering if there was a way to officially copyright a book or any text. I'm letting a couple of REALLY close friends read and critique my work chapter by chapter, but sometimes friends are sneaky.

So, is there a way to officially copyright something so that if it is stolen it can't be published? :eek: :confused:

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

You can formally register it with the US Copyright Office. Googling "registering copyright" should lead to the right link.

However, I think that copyright isn't assured to the first person to file - your friends could still argue that you stole it from them, So it depends on how strongly you distrust your friends. :)

3. Unit7

Unit7 Contributing Member Contributor

This site is your best friend when it comes to copyright issues. :)

http://www.copyright.gov/

4. MJ Preston

MJ Preston Banned

delete

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Your writing is protected by copyright law as soon as you complete a draft, whether you register it or not.

KEEP YOUR EARLY DRAFTS. The progress of your writing from the rough first draft to te finished product is the primary evidence that would be considered in any copyright infringement case.

You do not need to register your copyright unless and until you are preparing to file an infringement lawsuit. If you get it published, the publisher will register it on your behalf.

So don't bother registering at this time. But if you have a friend you don't trust, then why show him or her your writing at all?

6. Trevor

Trevor Member

Take your writings, put it in a package and mail it to yourself. Don't open it and you've got the poor man's copyright.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The poor man's copyright has absolutely no legal standing in the USA. The US copyright site explicitly states that.

It's a waste of postage, and gives a false sense of security. Keep your drafts. The ability to show the work you put in to develop the final product is what matters.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what cog has said in his posts is my answer such questions, as well [all except that one typo, anyway ;-) ]