1. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

Process for Poetry

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Spherical Time, Nov 12, 2006.

Well, first, I have to admit that I'm not often a poet. I typically write poetry when I'm doing something else. Classwork, typically.

When do you write poetry? What goal do you have when you write it?

Do you think about structure when you write poetry?

Are there any slam or performance poets out there. Do you have any recommendations for getting into that sort of thing?

Any comments on poetry writing? I'm trying to cast as wide a net as possible here.

2. Frost

Frost Active Member

Any time when I have slight amounts of inspiration.

I wrote poetry in a free flowing format, then go back and add some small amount of structure.

I dont do performance poetry

Poetry writing is possibly the most relaxing thing you can do. Got a stress, turn it into creative energy with a poem. Whatever. It's great.

3. newguy

newguy New Member

Um Well the simplest thing I know about poems is just to have a rhyme scheme,and always have an ideaof what you want to make a poem about.

When I write a poem it's mostly just penning I feel...
    Yeah I know that reason is corny but it kinda works

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a pretty much full time poet... here's my take on things:

whenever an idea for a poem hits me...

making a point, as my work is basically all philosophical in nature...

of course!... any seasoned poet would/does... without some sort of structure, all it would be is stream-of-consciousness type gluck, not real poetry...

poetry is the most refined of all the writing arts and it takes not only talent and skill, but great delicacy and precision, to turn out a true 'poetic' work... without those, all you have is doggerel...

not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's all you want to write... some people make a living good on it, writing greeting cards and such... but it's not 'poetry' in the true artistic sense...

hobby poets may well be happy with what they turn out, too, regardless of the quality... it all depends on what you intend to write and what you want others to consider it... and, of course, what 'others' you write it for...

love and hugs, maia

5. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    I only write poetry when the idea hits me, I think of nothing else apart from what has just entered my mind. I find that if I try and concentrate on structure I lose my inspiration. I write free style poetry, I'm not good at any other aspects of poetry writing, hopefully one day soon I will get better though.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

even 'free style' poems need to have some sort of structure, to be effective...

i don't 'concentrate on structure' while i write, but am certainly 'conscious of it' and have a structure in mind, as the words flow out of my mind onto the paper/screen...

and, in editing the piece after it's 'out,' i make sure it's arranged in the best way for readers to read it the way i hear it and to get the meaning i want to impart...