1. Corbyn

Corbyn Lost in my own head Contributor

Corbyn's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Corbyn, Jun 7, 2016.

Accountability is a big deal in writing, and I've been a lot better lately at holding myself accountable for my goals, but a little outside pressure never hurt anyone (that I know of).

Right now I have an ongoing series that I'm working on for Chanillo called The Purgatory Chronicles. Tonight I plan to start writing the last post for that. I hope for the finished piece of that post to be roughly 3k words. In that piece, I need for my protagonist to save her partner from becoming ghost bait, and ultimately save the festered soul of the ghost from becoming even more of a bigger, beastlier version of the badass woman scorned that she already is. Once this project is complete, then I must edit, edit, edit it.

I also need to continue to brainstorm ideas for a series. I want it to be a three book series. I want to have the first draft of book one done in the next three months and be starting the first draft of book two as I edit book one. I want to push this series for indie publishing in about a years time. Why? Because I want to ultimately be able to support myself with my writing. I know that's a goal we all have (or at least a few of us here) but I'd like to approach my writing as more of a job, a business, and actually try to make a career of some sort of it. (I just gave myself goosebumps actually admitting that out loud like that! Why should it be so taboo for us to want that? In my case I think it's more my brain getting in my own way, but that's a whole other journal entry for a whole other section of the forum!)

So in a nutshell those are my goals right now.

2. Bubba Delicious

Bubba Delicious Member

Can we actually hope for a career in writing these days?

If that's true, count me in. I'll be watching you and wish you the best.

Bubba D.

3. Corbyn

Thanks Bubba. I think you can hope for, and strive for a career in writing. I think it's doable if you're willing to put in the work, and stick with it. But I feel like being reasonable about your expectations is important.

I don't expect my writing to make me famous. In fact I'd just like to be able to earn enough to support myself, and get to tell people stories they want to read.

I think those are manageable goals.

4. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

I'm here to pester you.

Now you do me. :bigwink:

5. Bubba Delicious

Bubba Delicious Member

Thank you for this very encouraging sentiment!

I'll see how my Flash goes. But, naturally, I have my processing fingers crossed.

Corbyn likes this.
  6. Corbyn

Update: This afternoon, yes while I should've been working, I managed to get most of a very basic plot outline done. It will need some tweaking, but it could work. Didn't get any actual writing done today, but I should in the next two days.

Imaginarily likes this.
  7. Corbyn

I pester you all the time... o_O

Imaginarily likes this.
  8. Corbyn

Update: Working on the final for The Purgatory Chronicles is turning into a bit of a headache, and is slow going at best. Time to do a little free writing to loosen up the lips of all those characters!!

9. Bubba Delicious

Bubba Delicious Member

Where might I see your free writing? Give me a pointer and I am certain to read whatever comes out of you.

Are you a David Lynch fan at all?

You could always drum up a quickie for Sunday's Flash deadline, too, you know. That's currently my way of loosening my characters' lips.

But, naturally, that's just me . . .

Add: I'm quite a bit about the natural free writing process. That's why I ask.

I'm pretty sure the so-called "literary endeavor" is a lost art, makes no or little sense. Storytelling, however, even if it flows from a stream of thought . . . now that's a possibility worth consideration!

Well, it's my honest opinion. I know that doesn't mean much -- but at least it's honest!

Bubba D.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Corbyn likes this.
  10. Corbyn

I have a few pieces up on the forum, but not many, about 7 in different sections of the workshop. Here is a link to my first chapter of a zombie western I have been working on off and on.

http://www.writingforums.org/threads/tanglewood-chapter-1-approx-2700words.142220/

The one I keep referencing is an ongoing series that I'm doing through Channillo. It's a paid site that works a little like Netflix in that it's a month subscription to short story or novel collections. Here is the link for my piece. I'm sharing it because you might want to check out Channillo, if you'd like to read the series I can get you a code that would allow you to access it without having to do the subscription.

http://channillo.com/series/change-of-address/

Bubba Delicious likes this.
  11. Bubba Delicious

Bubba Delicious Member

I'll try to catch up a bit on the reading over the short term, and also check out the links you've posted.

Thanks a bunch -- and keep going. Eventually the writing slug wiggles its slime trail back into whatever garden from Hell it thrives in. Fear not.

Corbyn likes this.
  12. Bubba Delicious

Bubba Delicious Member

Mmmn.

You've tried to help me so I will try to do in kind. There's a very good chance you'll hate me for it. But that's OK.

I'm a native Indian by ancestry. Iroquois. Canadian. Of the Mohawks. One of six tribes in the conglomerate.

I am far removed, of course. I've only ever known myself to be American. That is a joke cloaked within a three-quarter length jacket if you have a peek at my ancestry's historical geography. But zip-lipped, mute, serious just the same. The subject calls for it. So it is what it is as they say. Whomever "they" are.

I only come out for this: there is a saying, a universal understanding of my people. It shines bright in the reflection of your most recent Blog post. And it's important. So I'd like to share it with you.

It is this:

Our feelings, be they internal or external, come from where? If I hate you simply for the words you type, from where does that energy generate? If I intentionally cut too deeply into the hoof of your main horse in need of a new shoe while you watch me do the deed, where does your mixed emotion come from?

I offer it comes from the same place as stress. Or any other human emotive process. It is born from within. And, as such, those emotions cannot take hold of us.

I cannot hate you if I do not first accept whatever you've done on a person level. You can spit in my face, you can take a vice grip to my groin, or you can tell my best friend or lover a vicious lie just to spite me. But none of those things will mean anything unless I first take personal account of them. And if I take personal account of them it is I who has generated the output emotion. I then own it.

It is better to accept that I have no control over what happens to me, no matter what the cause -- human or otherwise.

I control any emotive output based on my perception. Therefore, the resulting emotion comes by way of me alone -- not you, your words, or anything that you or natural cause has done -- and so it is "I" that is responsible for the generated "feeling," (the output) not you. Again, I own it.

Therefore, once this concept is accepted, it is me -- I -- that is in control. If that is so, then stress and all other emotive processes comes only from within -- me. I alone am responsible and in control those emotions. If I suffer, there is no one to look toward but myself because no one else has the power to hold sway over me in that way. In short, my emotions are not generated by anything another can say or do, only from me. Seeing that I have full control over myself, no one other than me can cause negative emotions to occur. Ever.

Naturally, if my arm is severed off at the ball-and-socket of my shoulder after a car accident, it results in a different kind of emotion. So if you're dealing with something like that, then OK. I understand. But, externally, even if we're talking about the impending death of a dear one, then, no, the emotions generated then still come from within and therefore are within the realm of your total control.

It's a tough subject. Deep I guess is the word for it.

But it's also a doable subject. Deep but doable. One that can be mastered, understood, and overcome.

Take care for now . . .

BD

PS - I'll be busy working on my nutty stories for a time, so don't worry about me jabbering away like this in the short term. I'll be good. It's just a human extension in return for your kindness. Nothing more.

13. Corbyn

BD,

First, let me start by saying, don't worry about jabbering away... in fact jabber as much as you'd like.

One of the things I like most about this forum is the people. Most are caring, concerned, and genuinely invested in not only helping people with their craft but also helping in general. I believe that reaching out for human interaction is a great thing, and there are people here that I've grown rather attached to, and check up on frequently just to make sure they're doing ok. Never apologize, rationalize, or worry about being human here. It's a great thing. All human extensions, and interactions with me at least are more than welcome.

Second, I think stepping up and sharing something that personal is amazing. Most people here tend to be guarded, and don't necessarily share a lot of themselves. Then there are others like me who probably share too much. I won't overshare or go into great detail about the stresses, or stressors I was referring to in the original blog post, but I will say that my intention for sharing what I did was more to remind people, myself included that sometimes people have friends who are dealing with so many big big things, and they don't talk about them. They don't share, they try to reach out, but maybe don't fully because they feel like a burden, or are depressed. Or whatever it is that they are or are dealing with, everyone's different after all. Anyway, my point was that it's ok to need to talk to someone, and it's ok to ask for that, to seek that out, or demand it if you have to because it's better than the alternative. Does it fix the stress? No, but it's a damn good start sometimes. I share more here than I do with the people who know me best/longest.

Third, I appreciate the wisdom behind what you've shared. Too often we take the situations or the feelings we have and let them control us, instead of the other way around. Sometimes it's hard to get that, and even harder to see the forest for the trees.

Lastly, what kind of nutty stories? :p

14. Bubba Delicious

Bubba Delicious Member

Excellent!

Very well, then. Sometimes the problem with me is that once the things in my head start coming out of my mouth or through my fingers there seems to be no stopping me. I don't shut up. So, it's nice to know someone doesn't care too much about that. No need to edit as much, less work for me.

Besides, there's no way I could ever promise not to jabber on again in the future.

The nutty stories are coming. Keep your peepers on the lookout. :eek:

15. Corbyn

Update: I've completed my Channillo short story, and with that story complete, I'm finished with Channillo. I can't say it's given me nothing, I have experience and at least one person who actively wants to read my writing, so that's cool!!

To do list: Decide which short I'll be tackling next, and which novel to begin with.

16. Corbyn

I still haven't decided what short to try to do next, but I'm going to go back to plotting out Tanglewood, for better or worse, it's the novel I will be working on.

Without giving away too much, my first order of business will be treating the actual town as a character for development purposes.

17. Corbyn

I haven't worked on anything new lately, and it's starting to bug me. *sighs* I'm having a hard time with the whole plotting out my novel thing, and I'm not sure why.

18. Corbyn

So, as a project for one of my writer's groups, we're supposed to be working on query letters. I've finally got one finished, and I thought that it might be a good idea to share it to see what I can improve on before I actually have to take it into the workshop. So, if anyone whose had to do them before has suggestions, I'm all ears, or eyes as the case maybe.... I've purposely left out the top section with personal info on it, but the rest is as follows:

Dear Ms. Leuck,

Recently in looking over the Spencerhill Associates site it came to my attention that you are seeking new adult fantasy authors, and I would like to introduce you to my novel Tanglewood. It is the first in my Highway through Hell series, and in tone reads much like The Walking Dead meets Firefly.

Tanglewood is set in Texas in the year 2077 and follows Syn Acker, a woman who has lost her family, her only friend, and nearly her sanity while trying to survive a viral outbreak that has decimated humanity. Syn has learned the hard way that shamblers aren’t the only things to fear in this world. She’s given up hope and has started to wander away from the devastation when she meets Nat Bawgs, a survivor whose part of a settlement of people somehow managing to thrive in a defensible canyon.

Once in Tanglewood, Synder is left with a decision, stay and follow the settlement rules, or face the inhospitable remnants of the world, while making her decision, a girl who Synder has befriended goes missing. Unable to bear another loss, Synder offers to help look for the girl and finds there is more to the settlement than meets the eye. Can she survive the town’s secrets and possibly save the life of a new friend?

People love a good underdog story, and Tanglewood is a story all about underdogs. I think the day to day struggles of a world where nothing is free or easy will appeal to people who like reading niche genre, but more importantly, I think readers will identify with the characters inhabiting Tanglewood in a way that will leave them turning page after page, wanting to know what happens next.

My work can be found primarily online through Chanillo, where I have an ongoing short story series featured.

Thank you for your time. I’ve enclosed the first five pages of Tanglewood as an attachment to this email, as per your website's guidelines.

Sincerely,

Corbyn

19. Lifeline

Lifeline The Dark - not in Wonderland Supporter Contributor

I think you need to be more specific. As of now I (as the agent) don't know why I should care. What are her challenges? What does she truly care for? Why is that friendship is so important to her, and what are her stakes? What is the town's secret? I know that leaving out some things might entice a reader to read on, to find out, but there are too many facts missing. I need to know more about Snyder, before I can get invested in her.

Give me more facts, to care! I would truly like to. :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Corbyn likes this.
  20. Corbyn

Dear Ms. Leuck,

Recently in looking over Spencerhill Associates site it came to my attention that you are seeking new adult fantasy authors, and I would like to introduce you to my novel Tanglewood.

Tanglewood is set in Texas in the year 2077 and follows Synder Acker, a woman who has lost her family, the one person she trusted, and nearly her sanity while trying to survive a viral outbreak that has decimated humanity. After surviving an attack at the hands of other humans in which she lost her only ally, she’s given up hope and has left the city. Along the way she meets Nat Bawgs and rescues him from a group of shamblers (zombies) at a derelict gas station. After a brief conversation with Nat, Synder realizes there are far more survivors than she thought, weary and about to run, she’s knocked unconscious and delivered to Tanglewood, by Bawgs and a group of his outriders.

Untrusting of people, she plans to get out of town, while the getting is good, but she’s persuaded to stay reluctantly, by the town doctor Matt Briar, and a young teenager named Al Kilpatrick. Al takes Synder under her young wing, showing her that not all people are bad and that there is more to life than waking up day after day. After a supply run goes horribly wrong, Al goes missing and unable to bear another loss, Synder offers to help look for the girl. She quickly finds out that not only does the settlement have its own dark secrets, but so does Matt Briar, whose been hoarding supplies without the other settlements council members knowledge.

People love a good underdog story, and Tanglewood is a story all about underdogs. The day to day struggles of a world where nothing is free or easy will appeal to people who like reading zombie niche genre, but more importantly readers will identify with the characters inhabiting Tanglewood, and the nonstop action of the story and its conflict in a way that will leave them turning page after page, wanting to know what happens next.

Thank you for your time. I’ve enclosed the first five pages of Tanglewood as an attachment to this email, as per your websites guidelines.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better? Or still more fact needed?

21. Lifeline

Better :)

But I'd advice you not to put words into the readers (agent's) heads. Don't make assumptions, like 'will love', or 'will appeal'. I am turned off by these phrases, and I am just a casual reader. My instinctive response is to reject it, just because someone says 'I will' like it. ;) That may be just me, being an underdog and all :D

Sorry for being just a nitpicker!

22. Corbyn

No, I really appreciate it! I've never done one, and the group sent us a writer's digest suggested piece that kind of vaguely went over it, so I had no idea where to start or what to do because alot of the suggestions didn't really apply to me, like for instance, I can't talk up any awards that I've received because I don't have any.

23. Lifeline

You might want to put this query into the 'publishing' section.I have never done one either, my WIP is not as far along as yours ;) I don't know all the 'nuts and bolts' of the business, there are far more experienced people around here. Take advantage of them :)

Corbyn likes this.