1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

What does this term mean when it comes to court proceedings?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Ryan Elder, May 29, 2016.

I am doing legal research for writing a thriller when it comes to a preliminary hearing in the courtroom.

However, in reading this article, there are some things about a preliminary hearing, I do not understand:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Preliminary_Hearing.aspx

In the article, I do not understand what this sentence means:

"Under the same reasoning, magistrates may limit or prevent testimony or cross-examination that is designed to elicit information regarding affirmative defenses"

What does that mean exactly?

It also says in the article, that unlike a trial, at a preliminary hearing, hearsay and illegally obtained evidence, is allowed. But what is the point of allowing such things. At a trial, those things would not be admitted, so what is the point of allowing such evidence, at a PH, if they are just going to be rejected at the trial later, thereby, making a trial a waist of time it seems.

Can anyone tell me how those things work at a PH? Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.