1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

Could a villain get away with this crime without having to go to trial, and take so much time?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Mar 9, 2016.

For my story, it's a thriller about a cop who wants revenge on the woman, serial rapist killer villain, who raped him.

He wants revenge after she gets away with it. But after writing a newer draft, I was told by quite a few readers that they do not believe the premise, that a woman could get away with raping a cop. Even though a lot of rape cases, go unproven where the perp gets away with it, without being charged, the readers are saying that since the victim is a cop, he would get special treatment in that case, and the case would go to trial even if the evidence is circumstantial. Cause if it's a cop's word, and it's a rape, that automatically means it's going to trial.

I want her to get away with it though, without it having to go to trial. Cause their are other subplots, that will have to be put on hold, since the trial would take probably at least a few months, maybe over a year.

If I skip ahead in the story, than the other subplots will not make sense and the reader will be questioning why it took those subplot characters so long to do certain things, when it would normally take just a few days. So I would like her to get away with the crime, without being charged in just a few days if possible, so the subplots can line up right in the climax.

Is there a way I can write it so that the reader believes that a villain can get away with raping a cop, without it having to go to trial, and without an investigation taking months, to the point where the case is unsolvable, right away?

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

2. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Active Member

Just throwing this out there, but maybe he's too ashamed to report it.

Doctore likes this.
  3. Ryan Elder

Well I want him to report it to his superiors though, because this causes a subplot character, to take it upon himself to investigate, and he gets killed, which leads to other consequences in the plot. If the MC does not report, it then the other character cannot follow up on it and get killed.

So I would still like the MC to report it for that reason.

4. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

What if she left the country? They couldn't move to trial if she were in a country with no extradition.

5. Ryan Elder

Well I need her to still be in the city for the story to continue cause if she leaves the country than the rest of the story is over, and she is gone. I would like it all to be in the same city if possible.

Maybe what I could do is have the cop complain to his superiors about what happened, but not make it an official complaint. That way, he will not feel up to charging the woman, out of shame, but other characters still hear it from him that the rape happened, which will still allow them to continue their subplots since they heard it unofficially from him?

Or would that not make sense? If he has the guts to speak about it, then does that mean he would have the guts to file charges? But this would probably mean that the superiors would keep on investigating her though, which I also do not want.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. Wayjor Frippery

Wayjor Frippery Contributing Member

I agree with this. And if you couple it with your own suggestion in the previous post, then maybe he mentions it to a superior who is also a friend (someone he could convincingly persuade to keep quiet about it) -- maybe in a bar or similar, somewhere away from the cop shop -- but another cop overhears and takes it upon himself/herself to investigate.

Something like that...

7. Ryan Elder

Yeah I could write it so that him and his superior are arguing about it, and another cop comes in since he has reason to be there in this part of the plot, and he takes interest in it, cause of his own personal motivations to keep the subplot going.

Let's say the rape victim cop is ashamed and delays reporting it. How long after the rape, before any physical evidence would expire, and he would not be able to do the rape kit, or anything like that? The plot I have is sort of tightly structured and I would like the other cop to find out about it, a few hours afterwards, but how many hours before it expires, or does it not expire until one has a shower or something like that?

Or does this not help, and the police would still investigate without physical evidence anyway? It's just I have a hard time believing that the MC would plan revenge on the villain, without trying the justice system first. People normally only become angry enough for revenge when all hope is lost, but he is not even willing to try hope, when it's there, by not reporting it.

If he chooses revenge, without trying the system first, he still risks being caught for murder, but the risk vs. reward, is not as rewarding, since he didn't even try the system first.

8. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

Hi,

How does she rape him? Drugs? Because if so that would be your answer. He was out of his mind at the time so can give no coherent testimony - and so if it's a he said she said, what she says wins. That's why a lot of rape cases already don't go to trial. The evidence is circumstantial and can't be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

One thing though, your cop if he told his bosses he was raped would probably not be able to get away with not asking for charges to be laid. He's a cop. A crime has been committed. And as a cop he has a duty to report it. If it's been reported the rest follows. It wouldat the least look very bad if he refused to follow through no matter how personally embarrassing it might be.

Cheers, Greg.

9. Ryan Elder

I thought that if she left drugs in his system though, that those drugs could be used as evidence to help his case in his favor, so wouldn't using drugs be foolish on her part since she is leaving something in his system that he can use against her?

Are you saying that if he chose not to go through with it, that the police would force him too, as in subpoena him, or threaten his job?

There is also another complication in the story. The rapist is a witness on another case, in court. She is going to give testimony to get a crook off the hook for his crimes. But he reports that she raped him, she will be made an unreliable witness, and the defendant will go to jail, which is good, justice wise.

So if the cop chooses not to report his rape, the defendant goes free. The cop also suspects that the defendant knows that she is a serial rapist, since they know each other, and if he goes to prison, the prosecutor may cut him a deal, in order to be a witness for the cop's rape case.

So would the cop let this guy go, by choosing not to report his rape, when he could report, which could get set off a series of events, that could get this guy put in prison, and then maybe the prosecutor will cut a deal with him to testify against her for being a serial rapist, later?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  10. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

Hi,

Different drugs remain in the system for different lengths of time and some won't be looked for in a general drugs screen anyway. Also the evidence of drugs in the system is not proof that the rapist gave them to him or doped him.

Cheers, Greg.