1. BigJ

BigJ New Member

Could someone's article online count as a primary source?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by BigJ, May 4, 2009.

I have to write this essay/research paper for my english class, it's just f'in ridiculous and got me so frustrated so far. I have to write about a theme from a scholary work that I choose, chose Othello so far. Now I have to find 2 primary sources to write about and include in the essay, can like people's opinions online on their own sites with their REAL names on it count as primary sources? Primary sources to my knowledge are criticisms relating to the theme I'm writing about right or something like that. Here's an example if I chose jealousy. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/124576/jealousy_exploited_in_othello.html

2. marina

marina Contributing Member Contributor

Did your teacher tell you guys what will count as a primary source? That's what matters--not what we think.

That article looks really thorough. But I usually try to use an authoritative source for my reports.

3. BigJ

BigJ New Member

Hmm well not really, the professor didn't really elaborate on primary sources...I guess I'll use it for now. Do you have any tips though on finding better primary sources like where and how? Thanks a lot.

4. marina

marina Contributing Member Contributor

Yes. Go to your university's online library website. Go to their periodicals/databases, and search under 'othello' and 'jealousy', for instance. Or google your theme, and add the word "university". I'm spitballing here, so it's just my guess of how you might find authoritative sources.

5. xxtake_controlxx

xxtake_controlxx Member

Google scholar is a great way to find scholarly articles on any topic. Granted, some of the sites it gives you requires memberships which you may not have, but you can always find a site or two on there that's helpful.

Also, if you have access to JSTOR, that is honestly one of the greatest article archives I have ever used. It's jstor.org.

6. arron89

arron89 Banned

Yep JSTOR is what I use, big one stop shop for all your academic research needs. Crazy amounts of everything you could ever wanna read scholerly articles. But if you're not using it from an affiliate like a university, you might have to pay for access...