Cover Art

Discussion in 'Cover Design' started by psychotick, Apr 19, 2011.

1. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi Guys,

I agree, those covers are awesome, and yes they have inspired me a bit, though I am a little troubled by the 'power of exile' line. Are we talking about the seventies rock group here?

Joker the photos I used are from the Morgue Photo's site, something about for creatives by creatives, and the licence specifically allows them to be used by others even for commercial purposes. Check it out, there's a link from another poster on the first page.

Cheers.

2. JeffS65

JeffS65 New Member

No infringement issue. These are royalty free with owner permissions. There are a number of stock photo exchange sites and where users post photography as well as download for use (not direct sale but can be used as an element of a design).

Yep, never steal. I most often will do my own photography but I don't always have access to certain things so a site like an exchange or even a fo cost, royalty free site can be handy.

Thanks for the compliment too. Was a quick work up for fun...Didn't take terribly long.

Never meant as a keeper line...Just put something there to fill the spot. I've done some movie posters and I've thrown tag lines on them. Usually gets the client thinking. One was a keeper and stayed through the printing...Mostly, fill the space and let the client connect those dots. They are close to the story so they'd know better, really.

Thanks for the look see :)

3. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

Interestingly, if you do have hands cupping the fire, it would look eerily like Twilight, yet it would send a message that this was a mage story, even though the two are completely different.

Anyway, I suggest you go to deviantART and beg for a good cover. My friend once used his photocopier to self publish 35 copies of a 90 page short story collection and sold them at my school. He sold 33 copies, mostly because he got a good cover photo from deviantART. If you're desperate, go to Kongregate or Newgrounds and hope there's some undiscovered talent posting his artworks for free there.

4. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi Guys,

Decided to reawaken this thread as I'm getting close to publishing my next fantasy novel "Of Dark Elves and Dragons" and came up with what I thought was a really good cover for it. Just wanted to get a second opinion, and maybe a third.

By the way its supposed to be a bone dragon - like a walking dead dragon. (The head's actually a raptor photo, somewhat seriously altered,and then photoscaped to death.)

Cheers

Attached Files:

5. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

Cover looks great to me!

For the rest of us that can't draw, Deviantart is great for this sort of thing. There's plenty of struggling artists that are happy to take a paid commission to generate art for you, and you get to help out an artist!