1. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

Cover Letters

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Rumwriter, Jun 13, 2014.

If you're e-mailing a resume and you want to add a cover letter, do you typically use the cover letters as a pdf attachment with the resume, or do you put it in the body of the e-mail? And if the former, what would you put in the body of the e-mail?

Hey, I'm a fiction writer--the business side alludes me.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I'm not aware of any particular protocol on this, so I would use the e-mail as the cover letter. For one thing, it's simpler than expecting someone to open a second attachment. For another, there isn't a benefit to the recipient in doing it any other way. In business, if I'm sending a document via e-mail, the e-mail serves as the cover letter.

Hope this helps.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

The email is the cover letter (i.e., the cover letter goes in the body of the email). I've never seen it done any other way.

4. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

I would put the cover letter in the body of the email. One of the purposes of the cover letter is to explain why you're writing to a particular person - they should be able to get to that explanation without having to download anything or open any files. If somebody sends me something with the cover letter as an attachment, it generally goes unread - all the more so if the body of the email is blank.

5. Chesster

Chesster Member

Definitely the body of the email, because if you didn't use that space for a cover letter, then what else would fill the void? You don't want to write two near similar cover letters. One attached and one in the body.

Good luck either way. Words are an amazing tool. Sell yourself well!