1. Miracle_Boy

Miracle_Boy New Member

Professional book cover - $

Discussion in 'Cover Design' started by Miracle_Boy, Mar 18, 2015.

What is a good ballpark figure for getting a professional book cover done?

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

$100.

Could be more, could be less, but that's probably a reasonable ballpark.

3. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

This assumes it's being done on computer software, using pre-available art? Because if you want original artwork, that would be way too little.

4. BayView

Yeah, I don't think even big publishers are making many covers with original art these days, but, yeah, a cover with original art would definitely fit into the "could be more" qualifier.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  5. Miracle_Boy

Miracle_Boy New Member

$100.. really?

I would assume that when a professional designs the book cover, he or she would use some creativity so that the book cover resonates with the story. This process would need some ideas and brain storming?

Anyone know what it would cost to have someone like that to work on cover design?

6. BayView

Why don't you go to somewhere like Deviant Art, look at their Cover Design gallery (http://bookcoverdesign.deviantart.com/gallery/25019671/Featured) pick out a designer you like, and look at what they charge?

For example, the first designer in that gallery has their prices at http://razzdazzdesign.com/?page_id=943. You'll notice that their price for a standard ebook cover design is $100, but they're currently having a 50% off sale, so I guess that would mean $50.

Miracle_Boy likes this.
  7. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

This really depends entirely on what you are looking for
    This would be about $25/concept $25/hr for adjustments
    [​IMG]
    This would be around $200/concept plus the rights to the photo and $25/hr for revisions
    [​IMG]
    This is about $5,000 to $10,000 for the production and rights to original artwork and another $1000/hr for adjustments. Then another $500 dollars to pay another graphic artist to scan for print and add the R
    [​IMG]

GingerCoffee and Miracle_Boy like this.
  8. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

I do love that last cover.

9. Miracle_Boy

Miracle_Boy New Member

I did look it up online, then I thought it was a better idea to get some inputs from writers out here who have been through the process. Thanks for your inputs!

10. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

The content of your cover really depends on the genre. Fantasy and SF, and some Horror, original artwork is far more prevalent. Thriller and Romance, not quite as much. With larger presses and some smaller presses, original artwork is more common to see as they often pay more for cover design.

$100 dollars is very below cost for such a cover. If it's based on photo manipulation or from stock art/pictures, $100 dollars could be enough.

$400 to $1500 dollars for an original artwork would be more expected...depending on the quality and experience of the artist...but astute research could locate a good artist that could be commissioned for less.

Also, if you're going to self-publish, be very aware of the contract signed and what rights as the author you retain (where and in what formats the cover art can be used for marketing and such) and what rights the artist retains. Can the cover be used for print, ebook, audiobook, foreign publications, etc.

Remember, if it's going to be a series, you'd want some form of branding (in titlework, layout, characters on the cover, etc.), so the selection of the artist might be very important, especially if you want to work with them again on more in the series...or even other projects.

The same artist, for example, has done the work (through my publisher) for all of my works, including the fantasy series.

Getting someone new can be good, expense wise, but there is a lot that goes into creating an effective cover...and an artist having a track record means that they'll complete the project in a timely manner, and produce it in the sizes and formats needed for the various types of publication. Consider that a cover has to show well both full size and as a thumbnail...and also in a 'square' format, which is standard for audiobooks.

In the end, you usually get what you pay for.

Good luck.

11. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

$100 sounds very, very low. At that price, I'd wonder if the person charging the $100 actually had the rights to sell any artwork. I would only be kinda-sorta-comfortable if the person creating the cover had done little more than some tasteful typography and perhaps color blocking, and in that case I would be afraid that they'd sold exactly the same design to a hundred other people.

12. United

United Member

That depends, do you want to do it yourself?
    It'll obviously cost less, but it will take some time off your hands, but if you don't have the funds, it's a viable option.

I have a friend who bought rights to pre-designed work for $700. She told me that other works she was interested in were being licensed for $1000-1500....

I can imagine that paying a digital artist would be around that much....

13. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Hey, I'm a graphic designer by trade with 9 years experience, and a BA hons degree. I'm available for book sleeve designs, the fee is free. Just give me a credit.

kfmiller and GingerCoffee like this.
  14. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Not for 10K.

15. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Cool. I have a cover designer already (family connection) but I'd still like to see your work. PM me a link if you have one. Thanks.

16. MDWriter

MDWriter New Member

Hi, though I'm new to the forums here, **Please don't shot me or ban me if I am not allowed to post what I am about to post** I am in the middle of two books, but I am also a Graphic Artist and I have literally thousands of covers. My website is [enquire directly] I never charge more than $79.00 for a premade :) have a look if you'd like :)

17. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

I don't really do links, I'm old hat like that, but within the industry I design medical publications, journals and reports, so it's all very straight line, official looking. There is room for creativity, but in a controlled way. My personality and creative nature however are the other end of the spectrum, and I love abstract painting and weird stuff. As well as the art, I'm also a writer and a musician, so to put my art into a pigeonhole with 'examples' would only create walls. What I'm saying is, I'm flexible in style, just give me a brief and I'll start to problem solve.