1. mutants vs. vampires

mutants vs. vampires Member

if i tell you, you will find me. and you aren't su

Crap it all...I'm stuck

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by mutants vs. vampires, Oct 16, 2008.

crap it, i am stuck writing the first line of my book. CRAP IT ALL!!! dammit. help!!!:mad::confused:(

2. Jade

Jade Active Member

Move on to the second line ;P Or better still, a different chapter. Don't try and force yourself to write.

3. mutants vs. vampires

mutants vs. vampires Member

if i tell you, you will find me. and you aren't su
    okay. i'll start writing in parts. i'm gonna start the second chapter. :) or something if i'm stuck there. something really exciting in the first chapter, too. ~hehe~ the girl (protagonist's sister) beets up her mom by accident. ~hehe~ i dunno, i am weird...

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There's no law that says you have to write a story in the sequence it will be read. If your story idea springs from a scene you envisioned, write that scene. Chances are that things will occur toi you as you write that scene that will stimulate you to write a preceding or subsequent scene next.

You can always revise to clean up the flow and any inconsistencies once the first draft is done.

5. Speedy

Speedy Contributing Member Contributor

Do you even have a decent outline for your story, character arcs etc?

Stuck after one line! good lordy ;)

If your getting stuck already just doddle as much outline, plot/character/ world ideas you can..

best of luck with line/chapter two :)

the truth has been spoken ;)

6. Ommonite

Ommonite Senior Member

plan it all out so you cna skip around. the first thing i wrote was chapter 11

7. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributing Member Contributor

You don't have to begin with a BOOM. As long as the first paragraph is hook-worthy, you'll be fine.
    Too many people (myself included) give the first line too much credit.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The beginning paragraphs are so important to the finished book that you may want to hold off until the rest of the story is shaping up. You'll probably rework it a few times anyway to get it just right, as a finishing touch

9. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

To offer a voice of dissension, skipping around is okay at times, but try not to make a habit of it. You could fall prey to writing all the interesting, easy parts and leaving all the "boring," difficult parts for later, which will definitely not help the writing process. Or, even worse, you could end up with a patchwork story you have to try to stitch together, full of plotholes because you wrote everything out of order.

Sometimes you can only just brace yourself and force yourself through the hard parts. You're going to have to write those first lines sometime anyway.

--from one of those people who HAS to write the whole thing in order

10. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributing Member Contributor

First, I agree with Tehuti, in the sense that it's better to avoid skipping around if you can. Unless you have a really good outline.

Second, if you are stuck at the first line, then maybe you are starting in the wrong spot? ;)

Further, nobody ever said the first line had to be right the first time. Just write something. For instance, I had a similar problem with my most current project... so I just wrote something I didn't like, and ended up with two thousand words that were at least decent on the whole.