1. aClem

aClem Active Member

Going Audio

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by aClem, Aug 19, 2014.

I haven't seen this discussed, so I'll open up the can of worms, Pandora's Box or Ali Baba's cave, or whatever you prefer.

As attempted promotion for a couple of my books, I did some short YouTube videos and narrated them. It occurred to me that perhaps I could narrate an entire book (the one I chose isn't giant) and see about releasing it as an audio book.

I won't go into the mechanics of it all, except to say that IF you can read your own work and have a few hundred dollars to spend on equipment, you can do it yourself. There are also Royalty Share options where you can hand it off to someone else for a share of the royalties. It's not a slam dunk that you'll find anyone who wants to do your stuff on a speculative basis, but it does happen.

Anyone who wants to msg me, go ahead. I'm thinking of writing up a short "how to" ebook/audio book for those considering doing it. I am not a slick pro but I do have lots of audio experience and am unafraid to venture into uncharted waters.

But it can be a money maker. And if somebody has something suitable for an adult male with an American accent, we can talk about it.

peachalulu likes this.
  2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

It's radio submissions I am struggling with :/...approaching production companies with a script...but also with a semi-pro audio v of my...ahem...vision - to flesh it out.

The microphone's always bust, I'm fiddling about with the youtube fx clips....totally pointless. I was going to send you this silly script I made up, tho I reached a peak with it last night and am letting it stew. Today I sent something entirely different elsewhere...so I am cured of draftitis :))

That must be very satisfying for you getting some sales, congratulations. I'll send you a US audio story company , a link I approached a year back ...and got no response, ha hmmm

3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

...oh...I looked at the audio site...that somebody off here sent me the link a year ago...and it looks like it never got off the ground at www.earfiction.com...to be fair, with my accumulated 12 months wisdom the site looks a little weak, like the scammer site we had on here the other day, no offense anybody. I'd been sulking for a year with this one because they never replied...loser, hehe

Anyways, you're setting up as the pro-audio fella, so I'll back off, though I am still seeking audio opportunities...but think radio's the way to go in the UK...plenty of space on the airways and the quality is currently not always so good with the play writing, especially the terrible radio 4 comedy and Cambridge actors, oh my gott...also the UK comedy forum is a weird place that crosses over with this scene on writer.com but those fellas seem, if anything, even more delusional, all the best.

4. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

I listen more audio books than I read books. I think that might be the case with many people. I think it also adds your books credibility if it has an audio version even if you read it yourself.

5. aClem

aClem Active Member

Allow me to post the link to THE place, a division of Amazon. https://www.acx.com/

I can't speak to radio opportunities, especially in the UK. You can always try to sell scripts I guess or I don't know what all.

The thing I like about ACX is that if your sound quality is alright, and their requirements are not unreasonable, it's basically like self-publishing in that there's nobody to tell you your work won't sell. If it doesn't, it was the author/producer (you) who put in all the work.

I'm a pretty good sound editor and a tongue tied narrator. I get around that by editing the blazes out of what I record, sometimes doing the same line 4 times till I get a take I can live with. But once you have it, you have it.

Anyone interested in the subject can msg me. If nobody is interested, no problem. But if you already have a book out and don't have a horrible speech impediment or voice, you might consider it.