Tags:
  1. AHewlett

AHewlett Member

Moreton, Wirral, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Name for my character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AHewlett, Feb 17, 2012.

I'm writing a short story based on an idea I had ages ago about an actress and her normal life in Savannah, Georgia. I have her family and her boyfriend figured out as well as her character but her name is giving me problems.

I've looked through every baby name site I can think of and nothing really has stood out for me, apart from Savannah but I thought that would be a bit odd as she's from Savannah.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could name a twenty year old actress? Thanks!

2. Jeeves

Jeeves New Member

Actually, Savannah would not be that odd if the person was from Savannah. But I see your point. Let me just spew the first five interesting names that come to mind.
    Astrid
    Josephine
    Gretchen
    Emilia
    Yulissa
    I tried to think of names that sounded interesting to me without being too outlandish or unusual and still being names you don't hear everyday. Good luck with your story. I hope we get to see an exerpt soon.

3. AHewlett

AHewlett Member

Astrid reminds me of How to Train Your Dragon so that's going on the list and I like Josephine as well so that's on the list as well.

Once I get this name sorted, I'll start writing!

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since she came from there, savannah may just be gimmicky enough publicity-wise, for producers to let her keep her own name, since it's got built-in box office appeal, being a sexy/sultry sorta name...

i'd call her savannah jones [the 'common' name jones didn't hurt jennifer one little bit!]

5. AHewlett

AHewlett Member

That's a good point to be honest though I would prefer not to use it unless I have to

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

It's always difficult when your protagonist's name eludes you. I can fully sympathise.
    It would be useful if you told us more about her appearance and personality, but one piece of advice I got that was really useful was, what do you think her parents would call her?

7. AHewlett

AHewlett Member

I think her parents would name her something traditonal or after a member of the family since I can see her father being a baptist preacher (if you call them that) and her mother being a nurse.

As for her description, I would imagine her being a small 5'5" woman with a light tan after being underneath the Californian sun and hazel eyes though I think green might be better. She would have should length brown hair that she could small into a small messy bun or a small ponytail but it could get greasy if she didn't wash it enough. She would like wearing tight jeans and knee length skirts, wouldn't really follow what was in fashion unless it was an award show. She would have at least three piercings on each ear and a scar on her hip from falling out of her tree house when she was younger.

She also has a round face with a few freckles splashed over her nose and a large mole on her jaw. Round, light brown (or green if I change it) eyes that are gentle but can be guarded because of her profession. Full lips that are always in a smile.

8. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Elizabeth might be a good one then, it's a popular Baptist names as Elizabeth was the mother of John the Baptist. But I am sure that any christian or biblical name would be good too.

9. AHewlett

AHewlett Member

I thought of Elizabeth for her middle name as her grandmother is named that but I'll have a look at some biblical/Christian names as well

10. AHewlett

AHewlett Member

What does everyone think of "Susannah Elizabeth Robertson" or "Sarah Elizabeth Robertson"? Thanks

11. joanna

joanna Active Member

The problem isn't so much what her name is; it's that you're dwelling on it. It's that not knowing is preventing you from writing. So name her one of those perfectly fine names and continue with the story.

12. AHewlett

AHewlett Member

Thanks Joanna, I had just started to write as well when I saw your post haha. I always bug myself about something simple, god knows why some characters are hard to name and some aren't.

But either way, I've gone with Susannah as a tribute to one of my favourite YA characters....until I change my mind again though I hope not.

13. MVP

MVP Member

Hannah Collier, it was the first thing that came to mind.
    Have fun writing!

14. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

Well, when I want to work out a name, I generally go to babynamesworld.com. It's pretty good for getting names, especially ethnic ones (though I did have to do a google search for a Phillipino name).

Hey wait, I'm a southerner. Southern names...Hannah, Esther, Tammy, Frankie, Marlene, Connie, Errial, Lulu, Sharon, Alice...that's about all I can think of for the moment.

*looks up* Actually I think Joanna would be pretty good.

15. shakespear57

shakespear57 New Member

Suzanna? Zelda? Claire? Sophia? just some ideas :) good luck !

16. Dullener

Dullener New Member

If she's actress what about Katrina, Rose, Violet, Marigold, Irwin, Aparna, Bella?
    D.

17. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Susannah sounds good.

Because her father is a preacher, it would probably be something Biblical or just old-fashioned. But Susannah is old-fashioned enough to be fine.

18. mydayisgood

mydayisgood New Member

Susannah from Savannah, you can use it if you wannah ( sic! )
    something smoother, as a soother, maybe Grace or Ebony

19. maxicute012

maxicute012 New Member

maybe you should relate the name from your past. every character's name may fit from the role, it depends on how the reader will visualize the appearance regardless of its name

just a friendly opinion :)

20. Tashanel

Tashanel Member

Sophia (sounds contradicting for me for your background and catchy too! :D)
    or
    Loraine, Lorina maybe sound old-fashion enough for me

21. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Aleisha - Means noble, exalted