Creating a Language

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Marcelo, May 20, 2008.

1. Farseer

Farseer New Member

I have seen it done. Most things I will advise people not to do here... I have seen, or I have done.

2. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

Really? To be clear, I wasn't calling your advice into question... it's just that I've never heard of such being done. Except maybe this one book with these lizards...

3. Farseer

Farseer New Member

No, I understand. Such a thing makes one a bit more picky when choosing what to read.

4. Sephie913

Sephie913 New Member

Now that other people have established some other methods, I realize that I'm not quite as lazy as I thought I was. Tolkien's method of creating compound words in realistic ways, and using fully developed grammatic rules to support the vocabulary, just seemed like common sense to me.

Just for the gratification of learning, does anyone know how extensive the vocaulary was for Tolkien's languages?

And of course it's largely for self-satisfaction. I wouldn't create an entire language for any reason other than developing the world more completely.

5. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

I think it's somewhere around 1700 words for Sindarin, though I might mean Quenya... I could take out my lexicons for Elvish and count! Dwarven was significantly less, and so the language of man.