Tags:
  1. Fancy1600

Fancy1600 New Member

changed my mind about the book

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Fancy1600, Jul 3, 2008.

well I wanted to write a book about a werewolf but apparently it would be copyright. anyways I changed it to like a monkey demon sorta thing sounds stupid but w.e. she goes to this new school and falls inlove with this girl she meets there. yeah its like a book for gays but other ppl might like it too...so the problem is the girl the werewolf falls inlove with doesn't like girls and then finds out that the girl is a werewolf and is inlove with her and sorta doesnt talk to the girl but soon she starts falling for the girl but wont admit it or tell anyone and then yeah Iwas gonna go from there...so anyone have any idea how I shud start this out? like the first page or w.e.?

2. Incroyablepurple

Incroyablepurple New Member

Lesbians? Lol.

Um, can you kinda rephrase that? I have no idea what you just said there for the most part, really...but it could be because I'm really tired right now (summer vacation causes intermittent sleep).

About starting off, really it's up to you...what can I say...there's so many ways to start a book.

Btw:
    why is this so?

3. Fancy1600

Fancy1600 New Member

ppl are saying I wud be copying Twilight

4. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

People aren't saying that. One person is saying that.

Anyway, to figure out whether copyright issues are in place, figure out what you got the idea from- if you got the idea from what 'people' say you got the idea from, then you're risking copyright infringement. Figure out where it came from, where you think it's going, all that. And- and this is a key point- put it away. Lock your plot concept away for a full month, at least. There are other things to think about- try to completely eradicate it from your mind, don't write about it, don't even try not to think about it. Keep it out of your thoughts.

If the concept comes back, it will be different- and it will be, at least a little bit, yours. If it doesn't, trust me, it wasn't worth planning around in the first place.

Suggestion- don't use improper english, ever. It doesn't help people comprehend your meaning, and it really doesn't cut down on the time it takes to write.

After that month, if the idea comes back, start figuring out the ending. Not the start, not the character introductions- the ending. Purify the ending, get that thing perfect. Then, and only then, figure out the characters you've got involved. Then start writing from the beginning. That's how I got my concept down, at least.

The main thing to remember is that you are the only thing stopping yourself. Write. Write a lot. Don't stop writing. There is nothing stopping you except you.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Ideas aren't copyrightable. Ideas are patentable, but it is not an automatic process. Only the actual creative product (writing, photographic image, painting, etc) is copyrioghted, and that is automatic upon completion by the creator.

6. Incroyablepurple

Incroyablepurple New Member

If you like it I'd say go with it, I don't see how it'd be copying unless it was totally like the same or something...

But GL on your new story as well.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you need to learn what a copyright is and what can/cannot be done... here's where you'll find all the answers:

www.copyright.gov

8. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

*pokes head in thread*

Ohhh, I see...

*dashes out*

9. draciaveil

draciaveil New Member

There are plenty of books about werewolves out there, and Twilight is a relatively new one. Werewolves are mythological creatures, not something one writer created, and therefore are not copyrighted.

However, if your werewolves were going to be just like Stephenie Meyer's, that would be a problem. You can still write about werewolves as long as they are different.