1. GemmaLouise

GemmaLouise New Member

Creating a Story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by GemmaLouise, Jan 15, 2013.

I'm doing some research on audience participation in storytelling and I wanted the opinion of writers/public.

What are your opinions on others generating content for your ideas, would you feel like they're 'treading on your toes' or would it be helpful?
    But on the other side would you get involved in others creative process?

Any answers would be great!
    Thank youuu :)

2. Talmay

Talmay Member

No, absolutely not.

It's my story and having several different people trying to force their opinions down my throat is grating. Childish, I know, but the truth. I'm quite content to share concepts and swap ideas, otherwise I'm not up for a shmorgishborg where everyone is trying to get final say.

3. BritInFrance

BritInFrance Active Member

If you are telling a story in front of an audience, and using them to come up with alternatives, plot lines, possible responses (etc), that is a whole different thing to individual writers sitting at their computers. Story telling is different to reading stories - to an audience - and, if you are using audience participation, is as closely linked to performance art/acting, as it is writing.

4. blenderpie

blenderpie Member

Yes and no. Offering advice and being offended if I didn't take it wouldn't be okay with me. But, questioning what I wrote and thinking aloud with me if I choose to share bits and pieces of my draft are okay if I invite it. I think that that opinion would have been different a few years ago, though. At least in my major at my university (English Ed Major with concentration in writing and a minor in special ed), going through my program (in my fourth year now) has really changed the way I view collaboration and ownership and how to approach that in a conversation. People tend to learn better and produce better quality lessons, etc. when there is a board of people to "revise" it alongside you. When working with a group, an issue that I might not have noticed until draft number three of whatever I'm working on is pointed out instantly and made better and it goes both ways. So, if I was sharing my story it would be with a person I trust to have a constructive discourse about it and would listen to their advice (though I in no way have to take it). But, if just some person off the street miraculously got a hold of it and tried to give me their advice, I might be caught off guard.

5. Khaelmin

Khaelmin Active Member

'Treading on my toes' is putting it mildly. Usually, my stories are my babies and I'm the only one allowed to generate ideas and plot for them. Sentences beginning with 'If I were you I'd...' or 'I don't like that, you should change it to my idea about...' are strictly forbidden and usually end up in a fight. The verbal kind, not the physical one, of course. Although on occasion... Anyway, in the end someone has to buy someone else a drink.

Unless I specifically ask for help. Then all is permitted.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Stories by committee are as exciting as unflavored instant oatmeal.

On second thought, the oatmeal wins by a huge margin.

Worse, your imagination gets flabby if you try to outsource it.

7. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

My ideas are simply that...My ideas. I want an outside opinion, or test my characters or a plot idea, I join an RPG. Sure books follow a certain recipe, but there is the flavor to taste variable to input.

Personally, I don't want someone telling me how to write. A critique, gives an outside look, picking up on things the writer might have missed, but the material remains the property and creation of the writer. Put it to a group or a committee, you lose something absolutely vital. The passion of the writer.

8. bmacd

bmacd Member

I don't mind bouncing ideas off someone. It really depends on my mood, I guess. If I ask for insight, it's obviously a different matter than someone just thrusting their opinions about what should happen onto me. But no, in general, I don't mind swapping ideas and sharing thoughts on the story. I mean, if we haven't agreed to actually work together, I don't have to include anything they've said. And discussing a possible story can lead to new ideas, even just from yourself speaking out loud.