?

Who would you rather were better in terms of fighting, Assassins or rangers?

1. Assassins

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Rangers

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Garrick RangerCorps

Garrick RangerCorps New Member

Best way to use multiple characters.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Garrick RangerCorps, Jan 20, 2016.

Hi guys, new here, first post:

Ive been toying with an idea for a while now, its basically a novel set in my own universe, set in an advanced world where space travel is instant and technology is ridiculously advanced. People live aboard spaceships etcetc.
    The story revolves around an ancient band of assassins, and a few in particular, plus the elite Ranger corp, a military unit tasked with special task force operations. Assassins and Rangers are natural enemies but they never get close to taking each other out because they are both experts at what they do.
    Something happens that causes the two to form together and become a new unit entirely, taking the best of both factions and facing the new threat.
    Ive got about 10,000 words Im happy with, the prologue and the first chapter.

Basically can I throw in a character POV during a chapter randomly?
    For example if my main character is close to her teacher (Assassin teacher) and something happens that affects both of them could I write it from her account and then from the teachers account?

2. kateamedeo

kateamedeo Active Member

I think you can use multiple POVs as long as you are consistent. That means that is you decide to use, let's say, three POVs, you should have scenes distributed evenly between them (one of them might have more scenes, being the 'main protagonist'). For example, if you divide the scenes 40%/30%/30% between them, then it would make sense.

If you are planning of throwing just a random scene into the book from a different POV, it might confuse the reader. As I've said, consistency is the key. And yes, there should be a reason you want to have a different perspective on the whole story. Don't forget also, that if the character has his own POV on things, he/she should be a fleshed out character, not just some secondary observer who you use just to show some essential info to the reader.

~Artemis~ and Lifeline like this.
  3. Electralight

Electralight Member

I have to agree with this. I've read several books that consistently change the POV, but even those get confusing at times. If you do change the POV, make sure you do it in a way that makes sense, and that doesn't confuse the reader.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Decide on who is going to be a POV, and then commit to each of them. Try not to have to many POVs as it can get confusing without tags, so the reader can keep up with who is talking and when. I am juggling 3 first POVs and have to tag them so it won't be confusing. I use them to greater effect when they are out on missions giving multiple angles on the combat situations and locals. :p

5. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Please do not switch POVs without a strong reason - Do not repeat entire chapters or scenes from a different POV unless it is extremely critical and used to advance a minor climax in a very particular way. The example I use would be having a murder be committed and one character recalls it in one way, but later another character reveals their POV at a critical time which changes the meaning. It is terrible for mysteries since it is a middle finger to the reader, but works in certain dramas.

The skill of writer is what really determines the ease of POV switches. Make use of the limitations and advantages of your POVs - knowing how to play with them is very important. In general, avoid 3rd Omni unless you have no other option. That one is "advanced" for many reasons.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Lifeline likes this.
  6. ~Artemis~

~Artemis~ Member

I would definitely recommend switching POVs only if you have a very clear, very purposeful reason. It's easy for a reader to get confused by multiple POVs. The advantage of using multiple POVs is to give the reader access to information they wouldn't have with a single POV. You can do things like show character flaws in your MC more clearly if they're being seen through the eyes of a different character; you can relay important information that the MC wouldn't necessarily have but that the reader might need; things like that. There is definitely an advantage to be had using multiple POVs, if a) necessary, and b) executed correctly.

If you do decide to use multiple POVs, Kateamedeo was right – consistency is key. In which POV is most of your story written now? If it's written in 3rd, I would not switch to 1st in any sections; if it's written in close 3rd following one character and you switch to have the close 3rd follow a different character, that could work, as could two different 1st person sections (although that would probably be more difficult to write, as differentiating between two different "I"s would be challenging for the reader), but again – consistency. Having most of the work written in one POV with the odd section here and there written in a different POV just doesn't work.

Good luck with your novel! :)

7. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I like to use a biased third person style that depicts things with weight towards the current POV's perspective. I favour major characters but anyone could be if I want. I got this style from authors like Derek Landy, and I think it works very well for juggling perspective less jarringly. First person is more involved, I only do first person with one of two characters. Is that helpful?