1. icescreamy

icescreamy New Member

Doing a story in drawing form

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by icescreamy, Apr 2, 2012.

Is it advisable if I intend to draw out my story like in comic format. I have the story in mind and I have the feeling that it might turn out better if I drew it out. My drawings are not very good and I wondered if drawing it out would make the story better than if I wrote it.

2. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

It's advisable to do whatever works best for you.

That being said, comics/mangas/graphic novels whichever you feel like calling them, deserve and require the same intricacies that plain writing does.

3. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Story boards are quite common. Usually they are used for plays, movies, and other forms of visual story telling. If it helps you see you story the do it. There is really only one rule, do what works for you. As long as it let's you get the end product how go for it. It it doesn't why bother. A lot is trail and error till you figure out how do write a good story and that's what it's about, communicating a good story. How you get there is up to you.

4. icescreamy

icescreamy New Member

Thanks for your replies. I will have a go at drawing it but what I post here will probably be in written form.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can't tell from your first post if you intend your story to be a short story, a novel, or a graphic novel... if you don't draw well, then that would kill any chance of selling it as the last of the three...

if drawing scenes first helps you to put the story into words, it doesn't matter what we think... all that matters is what works best for you... but it will still have to be written well, for it to be marketable...

6. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

A graphic novel needs to have an exceptionally good story to compensate for poor artwork, or exceptionally good artwork to compensate for a poor story, so in the end it's not really that much of a compensation for actual skill. Which ever of the two arts you feel is your strongest asset, you'll have to develope and hone it in order to produce something people will buy. There are no easy shortcuts.

7. icescreamy

icescreamy New Member

I would like to develop my story as a graphic novel because I feel that my story can be told better that way. But I am considering other options and am intending to post a written form of my story here and get some feedback before deciding which form of storytelling I should choose.

8. Jowettc

Jowettc New Member

It's interesting that you feel 'your story' is better portayed as a graphic novel. Graphic novels are historically difficult to get right as there are less options to use explanatory words and more skill in portrayal through art is required.

Still, it's your art form so go for your life and good luck to you in it. Maybe if you decide to post some of it here you should include scene information to describe the intention behind the artwork?

9. Erato

Erato New Member

All of this. My biggest problem with drawing a story would be to make everyone recognizable. It'd have to be simple cartoons for me. And secondly the facial expressions. It sounds like a great project and possibly a massive one, so go fr it and best of luck to you :)

10. mammamaia

never post an entire story you hope to have published... if it's available to be read for free, who's gonna buy it?

11. icescreamy

icescreamy New Member

I thought I could just post the first part of the story online to get comments before I continue, although I wonder if that is a good gauge.

12. Erato

Erato New Member

It can be. I'm guessing that would fall under the realm of the Writing Workshop.

13. icescreamy

icescreamy New Member

I was thinking about putting it under short stories because it could be around 300 to 400 words, unless words count is not much of an issue for choosing the section the story goes into.

I'm so sorry, I did not know that short stories is a section in writing workshop. I really should have explored the site more carefully. :p

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You would only be able to post story text (all other requirements aside). The Writing Workshop does not allow links, enclosures, or images. The Workshop is only for critique of actual writing.

15. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

As a graphic novel, your story will have to rely on a lot of dialogue (well, pretty much exclusively...) and your art. I'd say go for it, write and draw what you want to show, but be extremely cautious. If either one of them falls short (and the other doesn't make up the ground lost from it), then it'll be a dud. I hate to say this, but human nature (as I see it) picks up on the negative first, and if the art/writing isn't good enough for the reader to get into the other portion, then they won't bother keeping up.

16. mammamaia

you also have to fulfill the site requirements before you'll be able to post work for review... better go read the rules 'n regs...

17. icescreamy

icescreamy New Member

When I post in the writing workshop, it will be in writing but I will only post a part of it for review because most likely I will try to complete it with drawings.