1. Hazel B-S

Hazel B-S Member

Need some help with context!

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Hazel B-S, Dec 27, 2013.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and hopefully will soon be posting my novel (which is around half done) chapter by chapter, but I need some context help/advice. It's set in 1993, in Stockport, England, and the main character is a lesbian who lives with her grandma and younger sister. If anyone could give me any help with fashion/music context of that time it'd be greatly appreciated.

Also, at one point in the book, she's fighting with her grandma in public and ends up punching and kicking her. A policeman comes over, but she runs away. What would realistically happen in this situation? For the way my story is developing, I don't want her to go to jail or a young offenders institute unless its only for a day or something. I thought maybe her Dad could pay bail or something? I really need advice! Thanks.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I think you can look up the legal issues, though maybe someone from the UK has some additional insight.

For fashions and music use the search strings:

1990s uk fashions
    1990s uk music

I often search images and the web both for things like fashion.

Welcome to the forum.

3. Earthshine

Earthshine Member

Well, there were quite a few different fashions in the 1990s (as in any time period). Since its the early 90s, there would probably be some carry-over of 80s fashion, so say hi to acid wash, denim, baby doll dresses, trench coats, neon colours, over-sized sweaters...your get the idea. If your character isn't particularly fashionable, or is behind the times, this style might suit her.

Another fashion movement during this time was Grunge, named so for it's connection to an alternative rock movement by the same name. This style made the dirty and dishevelled seem fashionable - probably a rejection of the more 'pretty' fashions promulgated by society and music in years before. This style included things such as clunky doc martins, flannel shirts, aviator sun glasses, baggy board shorts, corduroys, ect. A character who wore this in 1993 would probably have been a bit alternatives in their tastes.

There was also a kind of 'casual chic', which aimed at presenting stylish, chic clothes in a more casual manner. This was a fairly normal style including jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sneakers, ect. If you don't particularly want to put a lot of focus on your characters fashion, this might be the way to go.

Anyway, there are a few other fashion during this period, and since I can't be bothered writing them all :p, perhaps you should look it up. Or try watching some shows from the 90s.

As to your other question, I'm afraid I have no idea. Sorry.

Have fun researching.

4. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

As to the situation you described, I doubt there would be any criminal prosecution as I suspect the grandmother would not wish to press charges. If the old lady appears to be injured, the police officer may call for an ambulance (just to be on the safe side). He may also refer the matter to social services. A social worker would then visit and talk to all them members of the household. The social worker could suggest that the young lady visit her GP if it is suspected her 'behavioral issues' are a result of a mental health problem (depression etc). The social worker may also threaten to remove the younger girl from the household and place her in 'care' if it is suspected that she is in danger of physical abuse (if there is a lack of co-operation).

I hope this helps. Good luck with the story.

5. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I'm not going to answer your question, mainly because I can't :p, but I just wanted to comment on want you wrote here. If you desire to have this novel published, I highly recommend that you do not post more than a couple of chapters of your novel. Not because I want to be an arse/ass, but because if publishers and/or potential readers discover that most if not all of your novel is online, even in first draft form, your chances of being published will plummet. I instead suggest posting what you feel are your two worst chapters or chapter, and get some feedback from that. That should be enough for forum members to critique your weakest areas, which you should be able to apply to practically the entirety of your novel.

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but I just wanted to warn you. I don't want your chances of being published totally ruined! :cool:

6. Glaives

Glaives New Member

This last guy is right, Hazel. If publishers find out that any form whatsoever of your story is already available, your chances of getting published will not only plummet; they'll disappear. Like he said, post the parts you think are crappiest... or near that. Or, just imput practice texts and have people crit that. ??

7. Hazel B-S

Hazel B-S Member

Yes, thank you!! I had doubts about it myself, and I realise if I post it on here I'll be considered self-published, scuppering my chances of being published by a company... I was thinking of posting 1 or 2 pages (some of the worse ones, like you said, for guidance) but reserving the rest for when I want to send it off to be published. Thanks!

8. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

I think, when she is escaping and a policeman comes over and wants to chase her, that woman's grandma shuts : " Hey, give up her... let her to go, I know how punish her. I will beat her by my cane as she never forget my knocking "... So the policeman comes back and helps the old woman to get up from the floor...

9. Simon Butler

Simon Butler New Member

I think really you need to work out what your character actually likes/dislikes because the early 90s was big for Grunge but you still had a sizable metal scene, a budding rap scene and growing boyband pop scene, and healthy punk scene, hell i think angry girl rock/punk music was on the rise then too. Take your pick really there isnt really once fashion for any time, particularly the early 90s because it was really a transition period for the world as a whole. But music is a good starting point to get a feel for the fashion and feel of the time. Particular focus on the music your character likes, look at band photos, hell look up their concerts on you tube from the time.

I base fashions on the music of the time. And what music the character would be listening too, but that's just how i would approach it. I'm sure there are a thousand other perfectly plausible possibilities.

I find it also wise to get a feel of world events at the time as well, major conflicts, protests, who was in charge of the major countries. Really your trying to get a feel for the time. 1993 for example might be, end of the cold war (so people were in general quite hopeful at the start of 93 that we were entering a time of peace). By the end of 93 Yugoslavia was turning into a blood bath, and much of mainland Europe was brought back down to earth by those events. You also had much of Eastern Asia booming economically, including China, the likes of South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia rapidly growing into economic superpowers. Hong Kong was getting nervous about re-unification with China. The US had just finished in Iraq War 1, and attention was starting to turn towards the Middle East politically. There was a lot going on in 93 that might affect your characters. Getting a feel for the major world events at the time or even including them will help to bring your story more to life.

As for your character assault on her grandmother. ;) do a little research on assault laws. I'm not certain of British law for the time but i know in Australia a victim has to press charges in order for charges to be put forward. She might get arrested immediately after the event and get let out shortly after because the grandmother refuses to press charges.

Regards
    S