1. Magiclaire

Magiclaire New Member

Creative Idea Turned Not-So Creative, Any Help?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Magiclaire, May 20, 2008.

Hey, Okay, I'm New To This Site And I Intend To Stay. I'm A 14 Year-Old Kid (Well, 14Years-Old IS Young, Ain't It?) And I Got Interested In Writing Only A Few Days Ago Because My Friend Suggested It.

My Problem, Starts Here.
    I Decided On Writing Magic Fantasy, BUT I Had To Come Up With A Name For This "Imagined" World.
    So I Thought, Magiclaire, I Got The Name From "Magic" (Duh) And The Beginning Name Of My Friend Who Suggested It, Clarissa. (Shortened, Claire).

Then, Today, I Decided To Google It For Fun, And Many Results Came Out. =/
    Turns Out, My So-Called Creative Idea Had Already Been Used Up By LOTS Of Other People.

I Don't Know What "Magiclaire" Means.
    It Came Out On Spanish? Websites. (I Think It's Spanish Or Italian, I Don't Know, I Don't Study Either Language.)

So..
    What Do I Do?

Do I Think Of A New Name Or Stick With It?

Don't Ask Questions About My Capitalization Of Many Words,
    It's Natural xD

Thanks In Advance.

I've Only Written A Prologue And 3 Chapters So Far In 3Days, I Know It Isn't Good Or Fast, But If Anyone Would Like To Help Out A Lil' Kid By Asking For The File And Then Rating And Giving Constructive Criticism, I'd Be Grateful. :)

2. Hulk

Hulk Banned

I cringed while reading your post. The first letter of the first word of every sentence needs to be in capitals, not every word. It reads like you're shouting out the words.

3. Magiclaire

Magiclaire New Member

Oh, someone else said that to me too. xD
    My bad, I'll try to type properly in here.

So...
    Should I stick to that name of change it?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you're talking about your user name, you cannot change that without petitioning the site owner.

As for the capitalization, well, this is a writing site.

5. Magiclaire

Magiclaire New Member

I meant, there is this book I recently started writing.

I chose magic fantasy as the genre, so I decided to name this imaginary world.
    In the end, "Magiclaire" was chosen because I just put together Magic and Clarrisa (Shortened, Claire. She's my friend who suggested I wrote a book to keep me busy).

I googled "Magiclaire" for fun today and found out that lots of other people have used the word "Magiclaire", though, it's in Spanish websites and usernames for some other stuffs and I don't understand what Magiclaire means.

Magiclaire is no longer an original name that I thought of in that sense..
    So do I continue writing my story with the imagined world as Magiclaire or must I change the name of this world?

6. WriterCindy

WriterCindy New Member

I would probably change the name of the world - I mean, if you want to be as creative as possible, having a unique name for the "world" in your story would be a good place to start.

Try to brainstorm out some names on a piece of paper.

7. Magiclaire

Magiclaire New Member

oo..
    Thanks!
    I'm gonna' start on that right now. =)

8. Al B

Al B New Member

How about Legerdemain for the name of your world? That's an archaic word which means a display of skill with the hands. It fits with your needs because it equates to magical sleight of hand and it ends with 'demain' which is very similar to 'domain', as in a territory, so it sounds like the name of a place too.

You can have that one for free, as long as you promise to stay away from the shift key.

Al

9. Europe

Europe New Member

Personally, in my own righting when i'm having trouble coming up with a name for something in any fantasy-related piece acronyms are at least decent to use, maybe put together a combination of emotions, or what you want your world/character to be like, maybe touch it up and make it look better...
    That's just what I do...

10. Magiclaire

Magiclaire New Member

Very good ideas. =)
    Thanks, guys.

I'll promise to stay away from the shift key as much as I can. xD
    But I won't use that name, sorry.

It's very nice, but I'd like this to be a reflection of me..
    Not self-praising or anything. =x

11. Al B

Al B New Member

I can undertand you wanting to use a name you created yourself, so you might want to try writing a lot of words which sum up what your world is about, and then look them up in a thesaurus to find alternatives. You can do that with Microsoft Word incidentally, type a word, highlight it and press shift-F7, which brings up the thesaurus in MS Word.

Al

12. Vayda

Vayda New Member

My suggestion when you come up with a name for your world is to make it sound like the name of a place. I've never heard of a place name ending in "claire" but I know of plenty that end with -don, -roth, -berg, -let, -ny, etc. Magiclaire sounds more like the name of a...i dunno...pastry.

By the way, I googled "Magiclaire" and only came up with 275 results. Honey, that's NOTHING. you're talking about the INTERNET here. Most of those results were forum account names and the like. If 275 results was enough to stomp on Magiclaire, then I'd better toss out my place name, "Vedan," because it has three hundred eighty-four THOUSAND results!

13. Magiclaire

Magiclaire New Member

Pastries!!~ xD

Sorry, I love food.

Thanks, I have renewed confidence in that name now. =)

(Mad Ravings Ahead!)

Go Lucian!
    Kick Zilphar's butt!

That evil and insane man ain't gonna' Take over, no way!

14. Milady

Milady Active Member

Noo! No! No! That was MY idea! <lol>

Okay, uhm, advice.... Other than the "Stay away from the shift key" lecture, I'd suggest changing the name of the land. Like the others say, it sounds a little... hokey. There's no easy way to come up with names. Just figure out what sounds right, and stick with it. Unless, of course, it has the word "magic" in it...

15. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Hullo! I'm also new to this wonderful forum, and I'm also a 14 years old boy xD. I have a suggestion, use some English to ___ translators, and type two words each to be translated to a different lanuage. Combine them and voila! That way I got the name for my world, Misdir.