1. Savage X

Savage X New Member

Creative minds needed!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Savage X, Mar 12, 2009.

Hello, I'm (clearly) a newbie to the forum (I actually think I might have an account from a couple of years ago, but I definitely don't remember the name or password, although that is completely irrelevant). Anyway, I am a friend of Daniel and we have worked together in the forum world for a long time now.

I've come for some help from some creative people. Recently I've been wanting to start a new forum project by myself. It will be a forum about life, more or less. I did a little bit of thinking and some brief research to try to come up with a single word name for my new site. I think I have finally found just the word.

It is Weltanschauung. I am not sure, but I think Anschauung is a shorter version with a slightly different meaning, yet still suitable for my site.

I take it that not all of your writers are perfectly familiar with what I am trying to create. But it's not complicated, it's a forum, exactly like the one you are on right now, but with a different niché than writing. That said, I am simply looking for a domain name for my forum using one of these words or some sort of made up variation. For example, perhaps I could combine the word with community to get something like Communishauug.com (I wouldn't be that lame, I'm just trying to get the basic idea across).

I don't have the creative mind or wide vocabulary range to come up with something neat and preferably not too long myself, so I'm hoping I can get some suggestions from the experts.

Also, if it's not too much trouble, could someone point out all the errors in this post? I feel like I use commas too much.

2. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Senior Member

Die Kunst ist lang, das Leben kurz.

"Life is short, but art lasts forever."

Lebenserfahrung

Life experience

Lebensanschauung

Approach to life

Lebensauffassung

View of life

There are all sorts of names you could use, but to find a good one will be difficult. A simpler name like Reaktion would probably be best, in my opinion.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why are you so hooked on using a german word for the name?... imo it will turn off/away many potential members... if you simply have to stick to deutsch for some reason, since the site will be about 'life' why not at least use something more commonly understood, such as the very relevant, 'sturm und drang'?

niche does not have an accent grave over the 'e'... has no accent mark at all, actually, as it's pronounced 'neesh' [and not close to the german philsopher's name, if that's what you thought]...

delete extraneous comma between 'forum' and exactly...

typo [missing n] in 'communishauug'...

welcome to wf.org!

love and hugs, maia [resident 'virgo-nit-picker extraordinaire']

4. Savage X

Savage X New Member

I am not at all hooked on using a German word for the name. In fact, I think it is a complete turn off and would prefer it not be a word like this. However, from what I have found, this word is the only word that means exactly what I am looking for. I also want a word that perhaps most people would not know right away. The point of trying to make a fake word from this word is to try to drop the German look, have a cool word, but still be able to explain what it really means when someone asks.

And thank you for the corrections.

5. Savage X

Savage X New Member

Thank you for the suggestions. The meaning of these words are all perfect, but again, I wish I could find a similar word that doesn't look as German. Reaktion is clean, what does it mean?

6. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Senior Member

It means 'reaction' in German, but it doesn't have the German-ness like the other words. Sounded like a good name because essentially what you're doing when you're writing about life is having a reaction to it.

7. Atari

Atari Active Member

Right. Reaction, reaktion.

You could pass it off as a variation in spelling of the word 'reaction,' and then you can inform people that it is ACTUALLY a German word, rather than a mere poor spelling!

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Both your words focus on a holistic worldview, and it sounds as though your focus is on the human aspects rather than cosmology or aqbstract religion/philosophy. Is this correct?

Without a clearer notion of what you are seeking, what finer layers of meaning, all I can do is throw out words/pseudowords like Encompass (or Encompassion) or Omnifraternum.

9. Rei

Rei Contributing Member Contributor

Actually, he used accent egu (however it's spelled). Grave goes the other way. Either way, it's still wrong.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

aaaggahhh!... i knew that all too well... so much for posting at 6:30 am, before i've had my morning green tea!

and it's spelled 'aigu'... thanks for the correction... hugs, m

11. litilraven

litilraven Member

I'm certainly no expert...and not "really" sure what you're trying to look for. However, if I were searching for a good forum about life, or whatever... the original words you posted in German would NOT have grabbed my attention.

You also mentioned wanting a word that perhaps most people would not know right away. If I'm looking for something in general, or something specific (either way) and did not know what the title of your forum, or even the domain meant... why would I go there?

I was looking for a writing site when I found this forum. If this forums name was schnitzelbooger and I didn't know what it meant, I would have kept going....Okay maybe that's a BAZAAR example, lol...but you get my point right?

Just a thought.

12. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

Meaning isn't as important as liking in my opinion. You should just choose a name you like and forget the fanciness. Overly fancy names are bad anyways. Catchy is always good.

On a side idea, I like Sothiya. I heard somewhere it means pure soul. :-D

13. Savage X

Savage X New Member

No, I can't say I do.
    I would like to name my forum something with a meaning behind it. LifeForum.com doesn't cut it for me, at least not in this case. If you don't visit websites because you don't know what their domain means, that could be a problem. GoDaddy.com is a website to buy yourself a domain at. Who knew?