1. bossfearless

bossfearless Active Member

Creatively drained

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by bossfearless, Feb 10, 2014.

Holy hell, I am just completely burnt out on all things creative. It's not just writing, either. I don't want to paint or sculpt or anything. Even video games aren't appealing to me. I have no idea if this is related, but my face also feels really weird. Been like this for about two solid weeks, and I'm really not sure what to do about it. It feels like I'm thinking to clearly and too precisely lately to be properly creative, which is just a strange feeling to say the least.

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to break out of this?

2. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

YouTube Epic Music. I always listen to inspiring music when I'm in a creative slump. It helps a lot! I suggest music by artists such as "Two Steps from Hell", "Audiomachine", and "Thomas Bergersen."

3. Passero

Passero Member

Don't forget epic movie music from the likes of Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Jablonski,...

Love to Write likes this.
  4. David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson Contributing Member

Might be a good time to just get away from it for a while and maybe read what other creative people have done. A useful diversion might be Twyla Tharp's The Creative Habit: Learn it and Use It for Life.

5. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Look at things that might inspire you, or has inspired you earlier. This only you can know.

My source for inspiration is epic music as listed above, movies I find superb, history, games and trying to imagine a epic confrontation or scene, which as led to many events that will unfold later in my novel, some even in introduction chapters.

6. Siena

Siena Active Member

Go bum around a strange new country for a couple of weeks. Always works for me.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    Love to Write likes this.
  7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Have you made any life or habit changes recently?

This story is going to be much longer than it's worth:

I blog about perfume. That means that I do a lot of online perfume shopping, though I don't actually buy much. I look at bottles, read descriptions, read reviews, send off for samples--I engage in a lot of shopping activity with very little actual spending.

About a year and a half ago I decided that I was engaging in too much consumer activity, so I decided to stop all perfume shopping for six months. I was going to merrily sample the huge sample backlog I had, and divorce my perfume blogging from all that nasty commercial activity.

But, despite all my intentions, I stopped perfume blogging. And non-perfume blogging. And sewing. And gardening. And every other creative activity. For six months.

After the six months was up, I started looking at samples and perfume sales again. And I started perfume blogging again. And non-perfume blogging. And sewing. And gardening. And every other creative activity.

I noticed the connection, and went Googling, and read that shopping, whether you buy anything or not, increases your serotonin levels. Just the *possibility* of buying something gives you that boost. So however ridiculous it sounds, I think that my shopping moratorium killed my creativity.

Now, I think that I've always been extra dependent on anything that boosts my serotonin. Most of my favorite snack combinations are exactly the right combinations to increase serotonin levels, for example--snack combinations that I've been eating all my life, since long before I ever heard the word.

I said it was longer than it's worth, but I'd suggest either (1) analyzing for any change in habits or (2) start eating lots of turkey sandwiches on white bread with big glasses of milk. Or both.

8. bossfearless

bossfearless Active Member

@ChickenFreak I think you might be on to something. Ever since taking this job out in the desert I'd been putting on weight, so about two weeks ago I started dieting, cutting out all the sugar and excess carbs and such. It's been working well for my waistline so far, but my mind has been a creative wasteland ever since I started, which is such total bullcrap that I am about ready to start throwing rocks at people out of spite. Not even well-aimed spite, just petulant little kid spite with lots of rock throwing. This is so not fair.