1. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Creepy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CDRW, Sep 23, 2009.

I was on another forum and somebody made a thread for people to post links to creepy songs. I've got to say I was dissapointed. There were a lot of dark songs, and even some disturbing ones, but out of four pages really the only one that was actually creepy was the OP.

So what do you think is the basic element of that creepy feeling?

IMO the core is to take a feeling of familiarity and comfort and then warp it ever so slightly. Creepy : comfort, like brave : fear and happy : sad.

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Undertones, undertones, undertones.
    It's always creepier to take something that is seemingly normal (just like you said) but warp it by giving it dark undertones so that it somehow doesn't feel 'quite right' but the horror doesn't reveal itself outright. Only after light investigation should the horror come to light (IMO). Otherwise it just comes off as corny.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Creepy music.....

BITD when I was little gay goth boy, my favorite creepiness was had at the hand of Souixsie and the Banshees. This may not qualify as creepy in anyone else's book but my own, but I used to get an absolutely carnal thrill at vamping out to her Ornaments of Gold. I was the master of the Goth Backstep complete with Arms of Invocation. I absolutely reveled in the look in the eyes of those who had erroneously shown up to Goth Night at The Village Underground when I was in high school.

You could see the fear of exsanguination in their eyes.

4. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

The image this post made in my head = creepy. :D

5. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

If you want creepy music, look up Coil.

6. arron89

arron89 Banned

My friends told me Joanna Newsom sounded creepy when I played her for them (especially Cosmia)...I guess I see it, but not really?

7. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

One of my favourite bands (The Birthday Massacre) has an upbeat tone for a lot of their songs (in particular, "Weekend" and "Unfamiliar"), and the vocalist has a melodic, high voice --so they sound very bubblegum pop, but the lyrics are so macabre! --Especially "Lover's End" and "Blue." Blue alternates between this daydream-esque vibe to the sickest and darkest sections, and I just love it.

Undertones for sure, but I find that the creepiest songs are memorable when you have amazing juxtaposition (IE a beautiful voice singing about the most ghastly of subjects). :)

Edit: PS, mind sharing the "creepy songs" list with us? I love creepy music.

8. CDRW

I'd like to, but they're all you-tube links, and we all know how the mods feel about those. Incidentally, there were some songs by Birthday Massacre on it.

9. SayWhatNow?

SayWhatNow? New Member

Pretty People Never Lie, Vampires Never Die by I AM GHOST.

something's wrong with the singer...

10. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

The entire album Director's Cut by Fantomas. Particularly the "Rosemary's Baby" track.

11. CDRW

Dang it people, stop suggesting things I mustn't look up today! Anyway, the OP I mentioned in my OP is called Circle me, Circle me. It's quite creepy, but you probably won't want to watch it if you're squeamish. (I've never seen the show and I don't ever plan on it either, so stop looking at me like that.)

Edit: Sorry, it's Circle you, Circle you.