1. Nipah

Nipah New Member

Writing a murder mystery/thriller...

Discussion in 'Crime, Thriller & Action' started by Nipah, Jan 18, 2010.

Hey, first post, nice to meet you guys. So I've been meaning to write a thriller/mystery story with a little horror and romance thrown in but I'm inexperienced in this kind of writing. Like, how would I build suspense or fear in the story? Also, the setting is in some secluded place that would not allow outside interference or escape but I can't think of anything at the moment other then "Laudy, laudy, Were in a big ol' mansion, it's on a island, it's rainy outside, and I dun want to run for that there boat with one of dem killers on da' loose!" I can only assume that some psychological factors are going to be thrown in as well...

Any help is appreciated!

2. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

Suspense is simple. When a person knows or suspects something is going to happen, but it hasn’t happened yet, that person feels the suspense. The longer it takes for it to be resolved the longer the suspense lasts. It can be momentary, or it can last to the end of a story

3. Nipah

Nipah New Member

So in that sense would dramatic irony count as suspense? And adding to that, are there any good methods to develop a suspenseful situation with only hinting at danger? For example, making a situation where the reader and character(s) feel danger is just around a corner, while nothing bad has actually happened yet.

4. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth New Member

Have you written any part of it all yet, or are you yet to put pen to paper?

My suggestion would be to post what you have written so far on this sight so others can critique it, and offer some specific suggestions.
    If you are just 'meaning' to write, but havent as yet, then simply make a start. Many of your concerns will solve themselves as your story evloves.
    Good luck!