1. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Trilogy debut novel (self publish)

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Stammis, Feb 9, 2016.

I have been writing this novel for more than six months now, and the barebones draft (meaning a lot of scenes and settings was left out) became 100 000 words long; and as I edit the story becomes longer and longer. I believe that the story will have an additional 40 000 words when it is done.

I have read a few threads about the subject of debut trilogy books but they all focus on getting published by an agent. I haven't even nurtured the idea and will not spend valuable time finding one. This will be a self published story no doubt. So what are your thoughts about trilogies, or two part stories from an unknown author when it is published digitally? is there any difference?

As it looks now, it is impossible to end the story half way and let it stand on its own, there will be too many questions unanswered, and the reader will know that the MC will continue his journey.

Also, do you believe it is a better idea to self publish a big book or several shorter ones, meaning around 280 pages each?

Also also, do you believe that I should make the final edit on the entire story or should I finish the first part of the story first and edit the other parts later?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

This is a hard one. I personally don't buy trilogies - I think I've only read a few. But I have noticed that a lot of self publishers who start trilogies realize that they're not selling as hot as they thought and then don't finish them. Which can really piss off a reader. You're better off doing a stand alone book or writing the trilogy in one shot and releasing them on certain dates to gain reader trust. You want to create the same security a reader has with an actual published book.

If the books don't really stand alone I'd edit them all together.

Stammis, BayView and Cave Troll like this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'd suggest having them all written and edited and then publish them quite close together. It's a lot of work to get attention for self-published books, so if you actually manage to capture a reader's interest you don't want to ask the reader to wait before having access to the second book. You can also use the 'first book free' strategy more effectively.

Stammis and peachalulu like this.
  4. MelFyre

MelFyre New Member

As others are saying I'd finish writing whatever the story takes, then break it up and then edit for cohesiveness yet also so that each one has its own presence and doesn't feel like you took 200,000 words and chopped it into 3 books. Then publish while letting readers know that the rest is written and will be available shortly.

Because others a right - getting 2 books in and finding out that there will never be resolution is the worst.

Stammis likes this.
  5. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Thank you for the response! I will edit the story to the best of my ability until it is finished before publishing. But a part of me thinks that I should wait until I am a better writer in a few years before I publish, because I believe the story deserves it, I don't want to make a remaster or something in the future. I have many ideas for stories so I may just make some short stories before I publish anything on this scale.

The problem with this story is that the MC will visit basically six main locations where more of the world will be revealed, and also provide answers and more questions. It is never explicitly told that there is one antagonist and it is only very late in the story that he will get an idea of who it might be. Which makes it impossible to slice the story in three and make them stand on their own.

But it is a good idea MelFyre to make each one has its own presence, I might even be able to make the story into four books as there are four main themes of the story and four different kinds of people the reader will be introduced to... we will see. Good suggestion, made me brainstorm!