1. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty Member

curious about a writers convention

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Suffering-is-Beauty, Apr 25, 2013.

So I'm just curious if anyone has ever gone to the writers convention in aspen that takes place in July. I was thinking about going possibly, but it'll be expensive to fly out, so I was wondering if it was worth the money.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

I'm not familiar with the one in Aspen. Are there any taking place closer to where you live, so you could get a flavor of one first? They can be expensive enough, but adding on flights and hotels can increase the cost by double or more.

3. jeepea

jeepea Member

I know of a person who went a couple of years ago and I understand that he enjoyed and learned from it. He is an English teacher and writer of literary fiction, if that gives you any indication as to whether you might benefit. I wish I could tell you more, but I never actually spoke with him about it, only heard second hand.

Also, it's just a 3 hour drive from where he lives to Aspen, so that might have helped make the conference worthwhile.

4. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty Member

Their are a few smaller ones that take place up here in the great state of Wisconsin, but none that I found that have agents attend. I go to local ones just because their great, but actually meeting the agents and the authors was what made the trip more appealing. that and the thought that I could ship my kid off to my parents for the week and spend some time with my girl.

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

I always think it's great if you can go to one where you can meet agents, even if it's just to hear them talk. If Aspen is convenient or desirable for you, then go for it.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are you referring to the one put on by the 'aspen writers' foundation'?... it's in june this year, though...

the only ones i can find in july are:

Naropa University Summer Writing Program

Scribes & Scribblers Creative Writing Camps for Kids