1. Masterspeler

Masterspeler Active Member

Current Book

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Masterspeler, Nov 21, 2015.

Hello everyone. Here's my progress corner.

So this wont be a day one thread as I'm nearing the final touches of this work.

It's a science fiction. I don't know what else to say as far as classifying it. I don't think it's a space opera, although maybe it's just me really disliking that term. It's not "The Young and the Warp Cores"

So far I'm at 112k words, at 264 pages (word pages), with 27 characters well, actually 31, of which 15 are main characters. I know it's a lot, but there's starships involved, and they need crews!

So here are my current goals:

1) Finish editing the types and such
    2) Rewrite chapter one with more bite and a better hook, to avoid a reader putting the book down
    3) Rewrite an episode (I have chapters that are split into episodes, each a scene give or take) where there is a "battle" or sorts between one of the MC's and her nemesis
    4) Wrap up the end. Most of the main characters survive with the help of another starship that "comes" to save the day so to speak.
    5)Another wrap up episode with the plans of each MC
    6) Actual ending with the big reveal. I need to expand it a bit, with the MC's plan. Being left floating in space isn't the best way to end the book. Especially 4 billion years in the past.

That's for the first. I need to plan out the sequel and the one after that. I have the general idea for each, but I want to write out each chapter giving it a title (I dont have chapter titles, but plan on have each episode with something like a title...there will be a surprise there, like an Easter egg)

I want to use this thread for the ####### series. I am working on another, which I just started conceptualizing and casting the characters. Im wondering if I should have another thread for that one. It's a novel in it's own write, which has a lot of autobiographical aspects to it.

Thanks for reading,
    AB

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    123456789 likes this.
  2. Masterspeler

Point 1 is done...but now I can add more

7) I need to find another last name for that main character...that still begins with the letter K
    8) What name sounds better, Stephanie or Lily? The later inspires purity but maybe a tad too much. The former is somebody I know that is very important to me, and there's a lot of Mary Sue-ing going on there lol, but anyone that reads the story won't see the character as human.

3. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Lily

4. Masterspeler

So not to formulaic then huh. Ok, I'm tallying them up but it does look like Lily will be it. It also fits because of the whole "lil" thing, since the character is small and very naive, but without being a child.

Thanks.

5. Masterspeler

Nothing done, and my mood is in the toilet. I'm putting the novel on hold indefinitely as of now....

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Hope you get back to writing soon, keeping up your momentum.

When you do finish that first novel, what I would recommend is writing at least the first chapter or maybe two of the sequel, for a couple reasons:
    1. It will help you keep the story going with the character voice and pacing and such
    2. It's much easier to come back to a project (sequel) if you're not staring at a blank screen
    I say this because with editing and trying to find a publisher and everything else that goes with the first novel, writing the sequel can prove a challenge.

Good luck as you move forward...and if you lack time to read, try audiobooks! It's how I manage. :)

7. Masterspeler

Well, the good news is that my computer isnt totally fried, but its things like this that hit me hard as far as stress. Computers really get under my skin.

I have to look at the actual file to see if there is anything corrupt with the backup too...neither task is easy though

8. Masterspeler

Back on hold...I havent done diddly squat. Surgery may have been great after and I even stopped taking pain meds but...things slowly went down hill. I dont sleep. Doesnt mean Im a big basket of energy, quite the opposite. I would do anything for just one more good night's sleep in my life...Pain? Yeah, pain is my only friend...a shitty one but you can trust pain will be there for you...

So what to do? I have no mood to write even if I had the resources to make a living. (Debt because the wonderful social programs that were implemented recently made it worse for an honest person to claim anything). So somebody ask me why should I write? How can one exceed the condition of slave without any resources whatsoever.

No, intelligence is NOT a resource. Its a burden and a hindrance. Intelligence is that which shows you just how fucked you are. Yes, live is vulgar. Its not peachy or pretty. And before anyone says "But what about the beauty of mankind, generosity blah blah" take a look at things have happen around the world or even in your backyard...Murder, torturing children, people destroying everything around...there is balance though. All we create, we destroy. No more no less.

9. Masterspeler

Still on hold...Not sure if Ill be homeless soon or not. Still cant work. Im off my pain meds, and it was great for a while (painwise but withrawals suck big time). Now the pain is back, and still cant sleep, so my mood is in the toilet. Which in turns means I have no mojo for writing...

I tried but everything I wrote blew chunks. So everything is on hold until my mood improves and the pain subsides or I go back to meds...time will tell.

Im actually doing this to force myself to write more than an email's worth. Not sure anyone reads this stuff. Maybe it's me but the forum seems less active lately. I don't know.

AB

10. Masterspeler

I was on a roll. Got the book done. Reread it a few times, changed some dialogue, invented some new curse words. So now I have to do the cover and work on the sequel while I figure out the publishing side.
    AB

11. Masterspeler

The cover is done! Re read it and re edited again, plus I streamlined the ending. Still a cliff hanger, because it is a series. I can't answer ALL questions because that's what the sequel does.

Still, the cover was a major pain, and a LOT of work but it looks good. I still dont know if I will publish under my real name or not. The cover I have uses my name so its why I havent posted it yet. Still debating.

AB

12. Masterspeler

Brooms away the tumbleweeds. The book is ready but the query letter and other stuff is not. Meds are scares because Im depending on a health system that utterly sucks.

I do wonder who the hell reads this anymore. I havent been a good forum member either. Only things I posted lately were in the job euphemism thread. I seriously would have given up all my talents to go back and NOT get a degree...I should have learned welding, or auto body work. But I dont live in a sci fi world, so no time travel.

I took a risk and it didnt pay off. That's life. You just have to accept the hit. The problem is when you shoot for the stars but come short, and crash down to earth, nobody talks about one thing. If you survive the fall, how do you live in the mud again, after brushing against the heavens?

AB